Synthetic Oil Question

Hi all,

I am planning on switching over to Synthetic oil for all my vehicles including my 02 TJ.

I figured i would go with Mobil one, but then i found that mobil makes 4 types of synthetic.

What is the difference, other then cost between: Mobil Clean 5000 and Mobil

Thanks for the help.

JOHN

Reply to
John

The website says it is a conventional oil with extra detergent.

billy ray

Don't switch to Mobil 1, do change your oil every 6,000 miles, and save enough money for a six month trip to Spain, like I just got back from. Life is too short, to be so persnickety about oil type. Do you race? Do you motor in extreme conditions? No, you don't. Just use the API designation and proper weight from your Owner's Manual.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

I agree, I run only dino oil in my 93 XJ and ZJ and have almost 400,000 km's on the XJ, the drive train is still in great shape, the rest of the vehicle is not..

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Ditto, have over 300K km on ours and the body is dissapearing pretty fast...

Mike

Mike Romain

Good choice. Most here think that synthetics are a waste of money. I've also met people who think that using toilet paper only once is a big waste too. I've even met one guy who washed out and reused old disposable oil filters to save big money. To each their own.

Stick with full PAO synthetic-based stocks. Blends and their 5000 product use petroleum stock. Expect the first few changes to be extra-dirty; synthetics use a better detergent formula that will quickly remove the sludge and varnish that the old oil left behind.

Take a look at mobilone.com before deciding.

Reply to
JD Adams

Go to WalMart and for about $30 you get your choice of synthetic.. the only problem is you will also get a Fram filter..

Reply to
AJ

Synthetics have their place, such as racing, extreme cold, or a pattern of short trips and not warming up the engine, that you just can't avoid. It is cheap enough to put a synthetic in the axles, if that is what you want to do. It is waste to put it in the engine, because it is going to be contaminated with blowby just as fast as petroleum.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

I use a brand name 10W30 dino oil and an AC Delco filter. Costs me about $10 and I know the filter and drain plug is on tight.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Perhaps you should have regularly doused your XJ and ZJ with dino juice.

I believe in the superior properties inherent in the 'synthetics' but also readily admit that if regular and proper maintenance is performed and the vehicle is not used in weather extremes then it is probably not fiscally justified.

Reply to
billy ray

Never had a problem at WM.. Also I am on the road most of the year in my motor home. Most of the time there is nowhere to get rid of the old oil or even change it. I just double check 'em.

Reply to
AJ

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:00:05 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by AJ :

No problem; throw it in the trash and buy something that works. The top-grade Purolators and the Mobil 1 filter are good. Pricey, but good.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

In a way Earl that is true however synthetics actually are based from petroleum. It is just that it is call synthetic because all the oil molecules are the same size. This produces superior lubrication because they are sized for the best possible oil film. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Heh, do you know how many molecules thick an oil film actually is?

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

I think I remember reading somewhere that you can take a tablespoon of oil and drop it in a lake and it will spread to over 1 acre. That depends on the wind over the lake too. On a calm day, over an acre is possible.

Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

I've had better luck in really cold weather with the synth. The starting viscosity seems to be better than the W value on the can. Biggest benefit i've noted is heavy driving in triple digit heat, where they tend to out last the traditionals.

I also get just about a mile a gallon better mileage at cruising speed with a tad less useage, but only really notice this on trips of a couple thousand miles.

billy ray proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

A boat load especially if you are in the boat. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty