Tera or JB Conversion SYE

Hi, which one of the "super shorty" sye kits do you guys recommend? Any personal experiences? I was thinking between Tera Extreme Short SYE and JB Conversion Super Shorty.

I am doing this rather than HD SYE because the price differential is relatively little and I will be opening my t/c and changing the driveshaft, so might as well go with the shortest solution (longer driveshaft).

Thanks TW

--------- '01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/D44

265/75R16 BFG Muds, JKS Quick Discos, OME Lift, 1" MML, 1" BL
Reply to
TW

I purchased a driveshaf shaft and tail conversion kit from Tom Wood's custom driveshafts, and I was very pleased. Tom's customer service was outstanding, the product was excellent, and the shipping was fast. Tom said weather he made the shaft wrong or I measured wrong, if it didn't work to call him and he would make it right. Cant say enough good things about Tom Wood's custom driveshafts.

.

This all went on my 89 YJ 2.5L with about 6" of lift. No vibes from the shaft.

I'm pretty sure he offers what you need.

Carl

PS. No, I don't work for Tom, I'm not affiliated with Tom, I don't get anything for references. I'm just a very satisfied customer.

driveshaft,

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
thomas

Thanks for the recommendation for the kit from Tom Wood's. I have been exchanging emails with him on the subject, but just wanted some advice from people who have done a super shorty.

Can't go wrong with somebody who shares my initials.....

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

Great, now I have a definite driveshaft outfit. What about the sye kit, any experiences with either JB Conversion or Tera? I noticed you have a Rubi, so the slip yoke would not have been a problem for you.

TW

Reply to
TW

Have no experiance with JB or Tera's SYE kit. I got my SYE kit from Tom with my shaft for $400. It is not a super-short kit, it is the standard SYE and standard cv shaft. The shaft slip-yoke is fully splined and booted, and came with his custom u-joints. The SYE was easy to install and so far has served me well. Whatever SYE you choose, if it has a flanged output, be sure to loc-tite the t-case output flange to driveshaft flange bolts.

Not trying to be a jerk, but what is the purpose of a super-short shaft over a standard custom driveshaft? The new custom shaft comes with a double cardon top joint, if that helps.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I realise that shorter lifts wouldn't really benefit much from a supershort and thanks for explaining the difference. However, my logic was that for $75 difference, I could get the super shorty and do the labour once. This would make me ready for upgrading to higher suspension or belly-up kit when I go to my next phase to upgrades. Just trying to build things so that they would not have to be replaced every time I do something.

I think the additional advantage is that speedo can be electronically calibrated to whatever I change my ratios and tyres to without having to spend money on speedo gears.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

How easily can it be done and what is the procedure for calibrating the speedometer with that super-short kit TW? It's a real PITA for most electronic speedometers as I am in the business and it's an ongoing issue for those in my industry. We're left with expensive kits like Hypertech for calibrating new speedometers which at $340 and up not including labor, is always an issue for my customers. There has never been a time when I didn't wish all of the trucks I have work done on didn't have a simple speedometer gear so speedometer calibration could once again be simple, quick, and inexpensive to do.

Is there a quick/simple/inexpensive way to calibrate the Jeep's speedometer without spending major $$$ for things like the Truespeed calibrator or Hypertech programmer? If there isn't, that would be reason enough for me to stay with the standard non-super shorty SYE kit like I have now which works fine for even very tall lifts (within reason on "very tall").

Jerry

TW wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

If you are looking to avoid "incrementalism", skip the SYE and get an Atlas t-case.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Ooooh, you are tempting me...... But thats an expensive and mean piece of kit.

TW

Reply to
TW

Well, I am relying on whats written on the internet, but I understand that the Dakota Digital SGI5 signal converter

is all that is needed to adjust the signal that goes from the replacement speedo pickup and the Jeep speedometer. As I have not purchased the kit yet, your input for validity of the claim that its a simple step to reconfigure the signal would be appreciated.

TW

Reply to
TW

Well, that SGI5 actually looks like it would do the trick though you'd apparently have to wire it in since I doubt it can just be plugged in. It's priced low enough that I will look into seeing if it's appropriate for my own business since we don't have calibrators for all the brands of trucks we do. If you get one and it works out, it'd be great if you posted comments and feelings about the product here!

Jerry

TW wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Sure, although I was hoping that someone else had already done it and was willing to share some thoughts.

TW

Reply to
TW