This is gonna look BADASS...

Gonna have to do some "minor" fabrication work here, and paint afterwards, but this is gonna look COOL!!!!!

WOOT!!!! That thing's gonna add at least 100 hp!!! :-) "I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

Okay, what am I missing?

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Donno, but I am missing it just as bad....

Mike

Cherokee-LTD wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hmm. Now I know why it's called a "stealth" model hood scoop. :)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I had to save the photo to my drive and lighten it a whole bunch to see the scoop.

It's just gonna be a track and street machine?

Off road that scoop will be an engine blower unless you are a desert rat.

I don't know if you have noticed or not, but CJ's have a real tendency to toss a 'whole bunch' of water right up on the hood even in mild not deep puddles. If it hits the bumper, it hits the windshield.

That scoop would just go 'gulp' and you would have a rod tossed out the side of the block or a piston in pieces.

I now warn folks to check their stock intakes when they come running with me. 'Some' CJ's, YJ's and TJ's have an intake tube that sucks right below the headlight. Some don't. This tube must be taken off for safe trail running.

See: Aug/01

Note I am taking the photo from the other side, he didn't make it, he didn't know he had a scoop....

Got lucky, he was turning low rpm and no damage. Water blew out 4 spark plug holes when we hauled him out and emptied the water out.

There 'is' a reason you never see hood scoops on Jeeps.....

Now if you turned that into a ram air snorkel up above the top edge of the windshield, it would be a functional snorkel addition to a Jeep......

Mike

Shaggie wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'm special. Rode the short bus and all that. :-) My hood got burned up when my engine caught on fire and I just figured while I was taking care of the burned spots that I'd have a little fun. No harm in that, I guess. It'd be pretty boring if everybody's ride looked exactly the same. Going from my last offroad vehicle to this Jeep decreased my originality factor several-fold. Cut me some slack. :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

It's gonna be 90% trail, 10% road to/from the trail machine. I just bought my first brand new car, a 2004 Civic for my daily driver. The Jeep is now ONLY for the trails and to get there and back. I don't intend to go crazy with it with stuff like 44" boggers and lockers front and rear. Just want it for fun.

I've been offroading for years now, but most of it has been with my baja. When I drove that car offroad, a big puddle meant HIT IT HARD. Example:

I've gotten a little older and my back gives me trouble so I takeit much easier. I sold the baja and bought my Jeep and now I like todrive nice and slow over the rocks and hills and nice and slow throughthe puddles. If I get stuck, that's what the winch is for. Yes, I'vealready soaked my windshield/hood a couple of times even with myslowed-down style of offroading so I realize I could still do damagewith a hood scoop. I appreciate the warning, but I plan on beingcareful. I'm going to put a pre-filter on my air-cleaner which shouldhelp some in case I throw some water/mud up onto the hood and into thescoop.

Yeah, I realize that, but only if the water gets into the engine. I'd give the same advice to a teenage kid with running boards on his dad's Ford Escape out on the trails. :-) Don't get me wrong. I still appreciate the warning, but I'm not gonna go charging into a puddle that has the potential for doing damage like that.

Ugh.

Sure, I realize that. I also realize there's a reason you don't see too many '63 VW Bugs turned into bajas with camo-paint and Budweiser can wrapped around the coil, but I got that kinda class. ;-)

If I was going to get into DEEP mud or puddles then I'd consider a snorkel, but for the kind of mild offroading I'm doing right now I really think I'll be ok as long as I take it easy and put the prefilter on the air filter before hitting the trails. Again, thanks for the advice. I don't take it lightly. I just feel that in this case I'm covered. Take care.

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

slack? In this group. :)

While your rebuilding, add one of these.

^_^

Reply to
DougW

Cool.

I was just giving you a heads up. I would be thinking on a flap with a manual choke cable open and closed for it.

I like your Bug shots and remember you are the dude with the horse shoes up his butt... ;-) LOL!

I had a 68 1500 3 speed semi automatic Bug that 'really' got me into off roading! Man the places that silly thing would go and got me into.... And the electric clutch switch in the gear shift. That was a funny thing, I could rev it up and take my hand off the gear shift and it would just smoke out the G78-15's I has on the back.

I got stuck once on the mud flats in the Minas Basin on the east coast with the highest tides in the world. I was almost 3 miles out and we had to hike to shore to get shovels to get us out.

Mike

Shaggie wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

hahaha! Yeah...right. :-) I had trouble enough explaining to my wife about why I needed the Holly Truck Avenger 4bbl to replace the factory 2bbl and why I needed the Edelbrock intake to match it because my cast iron 2bbl intake got burned up by the fire... (you know how those chunks of cast-iron get burned up so badly that they're no longer usable in about 2 minutes) And I still have to explain the DUI distributor/coil ignition I'm about to buy. Oh gosh, this stuff is expensive! But... fun. :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

Oh yeah, and today when the fedex truck dropped off the hood scoop... That was a classic.

her- "What's that?" me- "That's a Jeep part." her- "What does it do?" me- "It covers the burned spots on the hood. I'm going to cut them out and put the scoop over it." her- "Why not sand the hood and repaint it? You already painted it once." me-"*chuckle* Honey! With the Truck Avenger carb I'll need more fresh air for it to run right!" her-"Why was it again you needed that carb instead of a rebuilt factory carb?" me- "Is that dinner I smell burning?" her- "Oh no! Let me check!" *runs out of garage*

Oh... I'm so bad. ;-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

Hey, that sounds like a cool weekend project. I like fabbing up stuff like that.

hahaha! Yeah, that's me. Still trying to work out how to get a patent on my "JEEP KICKSTAND" idea. (my leg) heh heh

Yeah, they call those things auto-sticks. Freaky. Never had one. Had 3 bugs and one bus, but never an auto-stick. I was running 31" truck tires on my baja with a 1200 cc stock motor. I'll bet I can slip a clutch better than any of y'all. ;-) Can you imagine...? No fancy gearing to get the RPMs up, it was all clutch slippage to get that 40 hp 1.2 liter engine to spin those 31" tires right up the hill. WHOO HOO! The smell of a burning clutch can be like a learned thing. Smell of burning clutch = I'm having fun offroading right now! ;-)

If I ever add another baja to my offroad vehicle collection then you'd better believe it'll have a good electric winch permanently mounted to the front bumper. That's one thing I don't miss at all about my old baja. The not having a winch worth a crap part. :-) Again, thanks for the advice. See you on the trails someday.

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

See you on the trails someday.

I am organizing a RAMJ+W newsgroup run up to James Bay in Northern Canada at the end of August. Interested?

Here are a bunch, but not all of the trips I have organized with folks from this Jeep newsgroup in the past:

Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Aug02

16/02
Easter/02
Trip Misc.