Differential Education

I want to know the how to tell what I have on my jeep. My best guess is that they are whatever came stock on a '76 CJ-7 with quadratrac (if that matters). I was unbolting the front springs last night and I noticed that the front cover was dented. I could take if off, hammer it out and put it back on.... but I'm not going to do that. I'll just replace it with a bright and shiny new one. I've seen AMC20, Dana 30, 35, 44, etc.

How do I know what is on there?

Thanks,

Chip

Reply to
Chip

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The front is either the D30 or D44. The D44 looks like an apple.

The rear is either a D44 or AMC20. If an AMC20, the front is a D30. The AMC20 is round. The cover is round like half of a ball.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

No CJ has ever been produced with a Dana 44 front. No CJ-7 has ever been produced with a Dana 44 rear untill 1986.

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Really? Never heard of a Dana 41 front. I thought that any CJ with the

41 rear had a Dana 25 in front. Incidentally, didn't the very first CJs have the Spicer 23 rear carried over from the military models?

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well then, it's settled, he has a D30 front and an AMC20 rear. I actually think you are mistaken though, I think the D44 on the rear is possible in the early 70s as an option. I could be wrong on that, but I don't think so.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You are correct, D44 rears were common on 1975 CJ-5's and earlier years.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

He's not mistaken. The only CJ-7s with Dana 44 were in 1986. There were no CJ-7s in the early 70s.

Steve

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Good call. CJs might have had the D44, but not the CJ7 because there were none before '76.

So, the 76 CJ7 the OP asked about has a D30 front end and an AMC20 rear.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yes, but that was the a corner case. The OP asked specifically about a '76 CJ7.

What we have ignored so far is that fact that the stock axles are long gone, in which case it could have anything.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

No, I'm not. I seldom think of Scouts.

Reply to