Tyre Pressures

Hi, I am switching from stock tires to BFG MT 33x10.5's R15's on my TJ do I still run thess at the stock pressures on the road or should they be Lower/Higher.

Cheers Nick

Reply to
Nick

Because of the Jeeps relatively light wieght vs. the tires' capacity rating, they will wear excessively in the center if run at the stock pressures. You need to experiment, but fwiw, on my '94 YJ I run 35 x12.50 15s at 25 lbs on the street.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Hi Nick,

I have the same tire on 15x7 rims on my XJ. I first chalked the treads and ran on a straight, flat section of asphalt to find the most even contact pattern. This put me at 24 psi rear and 25 psi front. After driving them like this for a while, I noticed that the outside treads were wearing slightly more than the centres despite having the 'perfect' contact patch. Perhaps this was due to sidewall roll when cornering. I now run them at 28 psi. I get better gas mileage and more lateral stability in turns. I also feel the bumps a bit more. Tread wear seems to have evened out.

You can tune your street pressure to match various conditions. When you're loaded with gear and/or passengers for a long trip, air up. If roads are very wet or slushy, you can increase traction and reduce the risk of hydroplaning by airing up to narrow the contact patch.

Off road, I drop down to about 15 psi. Traction is much improved on rocks and dirt and I have yet to blow a bead. For mud, I've found that these relatively narrow tires sometimes work better when inflated to 40 psi or more. The voids clear out easier for more pull and they dig down to make better contact with the hard stuff (assuming it's there).

Be sure to rotate these tires every 3,000 miles.

Steve

Nick wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
EDDIE O'CONNOR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Your TJ likes the tire pressure to be between 25 and 30 psi.

Reply to
CRWLR