Tyre Pressures

Hi All, Having found this newsgroup I've realised that most of you guys know what you are talking about when it comes to all things landrover! My problem is that the various garages and tyre emporiums I have asked have come back with such a difference in tyre pressures that I am at a loss as to what they should be. Running a '65 IIA Diesel SWB on 750 x

16R Wranglers. The "supposed" experts have given me pressures from 25 - 55 psi which indicates to me that someone dos'nt know their arse from their elbow. Trouble is, what pressures should I be using. Currently running on 30psi all round and steering is heavy. What do you guys suggest. Many thanks.
Reply to
S A Neale

Rather than put a big list here I've put up the answer on the Series 2 section of the FAQ site.

Phil Gardiner

25 front, 25-30 rear depending on load

I usually set mine at 30psi all round, although the recovery truck has the rears at 45psi for towing.

Steering is heavy on a Series anyway, but it might be worth checking that there is indeed oil in the steering box and relay.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Also, check the pressure gauge...

Reply to
David G. Bell

One of the problems is that today most tyres are radials - and the 2a was designed for crossplies. Also, ideas as to suitable pressures for radials seem to have evolved with time. For example, from my 2a Owner's Manual 1964, SWB, 7.50x16 radials, 15

  • 15 (front + rear, psi) empty, 15 + 22 loaded. From the S3 Owner's Manual
1978, 25 + 25 & 25 + 30 for the same tyres. Note that when both these books were published the only radial specified was Michelin XY, but I expect that any radials would be the same. The placards on my ex-army 109 specify 24 +60, but it would have been (still is) on straight bar tread cross plies. JD
Reply to
JD

On or around Mon, 03 May 2004 13:07:15 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

I tend to reckon that radial tyres want anything up to 5lb more than the same size crossplies.

indeed. there often isn't...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There wasn't in mine. It forced the top off the box, sheared the bolts.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

From experience with 750 radials I'd say between 28 - 30 psi all round gives even wear on a SWB. When heavily laden I increase the rears to 32 psi. Going anything over leads to excessive centre wear, and much below excessive shoulder wear.

If you want to find an exact figure for yourself, what you're aiming for is even wear across the tyre. One method is to paint a thin line of paint across the tread in one place, and drive round without heavy cornering / braking / acceleration (not likely on a series anyhow...) and see where the paint wears off first. If its the centre then decrease the pressure a psi or two, and if its the outside then increase it a bit. Might take a while, but does allow a good pressure to be worked out for max tyre life.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner
36psi all round and will wear down tread evenly
Reply to
M0bcg