Tyres

BFG KM or Goodyear MT/R for mud use ?

Dave Milne

BFG KMs!! I do like the MT/Rs a LOT though, but for mud specifically... ___________________________________________________________ tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco 03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5" 01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,

1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email) ___________________________________________________________

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Brigestone Dueler M/T D673

Reply to
Coasty

Mud? Can you Spell Boggers? Not for the hard ball though.

Reply to
JimG

Billy Ray

Good information.... if they would have tested in the mud (or deep snow).

Reply to
JimG

They were reviewed in the snow and on ice.

The BFGs mentioned has 'fair ice traction and not acceptable deep snow traction.

The Goodyear MTRs have not acceptable snow and ice traction.

They both rank in reviews in the lower half of the ratings.

Now, if you click on the individual tires it will give you a choice to read the reviews. In the case of the BFGs there are 231 reviews, the Goodyears have 505 reviews.

It also give you options to review other brands of tires in the same class (off-road max traction)

If I were to purchase a set in this class I would certainly look at the Kumhos. It is, perhaps, a brand unfamiliar to many but as I have a set of their Venture ATs that I am very pleased with I would give then a look.

I would also reference other resources that offer information from tests and usage such as

To save you the trouble I will cite the specific web pages:
Over a two year period these tires were subjected to use , as they state, intended to make them fail and fail was something they never did.

But then..... why should I mention this? Well..... the OP asked for opinions and I directly offered the opinions of 736 people who own these tires (231 + 505) and at in this message I added mine and the thoughts of the reviewers at offroad.com about a brand I would consider.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Dave, I swore you asked about BFG vs. Goodyear. Hmmm.. My two cents says, BFG for better wear, Goodyear for slightly better performance in mud. However the other guys did make good points. I just moved to the northeast US and allot of the hard core off-roaders I've met here are using swampers. they all swear by them in the mud. Rich

Reply to
Rich

You have to take into account that this is the results of a survey. Who did they ask? Perhaps Los Angeles commuters? How many people have you seen running the Rubicon, (or any serious trail) on Kumho tires?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

The respondents to the survey are, purportedly, people who have purchased these tires and are commenting on their capabilities. While I did not read all 700+ responses I am sure some were specific to use in the mud.

As for the Kumho tires I will assume you did not bother to read either of the two articles they reference as, at least, one of them specifically mentions their use in mud.

As for the Rubicon I can positively say that I have never personally seen Kumho tires there. But then I have never seen whatever brand you use there either.

Reply to
Billy Ray

People that wheel with me can't believe that not one spec of mud will stay in the lugs of my BFGs, great tires.

Reply to
Greg

I also love my BFG muds. I have never needed a tow out of mud with them on. Now I have gotten hung up in bush, but.

I also like the wear I get. The MTR's seem to wear out extremely fast on the street.

Mike

Mike Romain

I thought the "N/A" meant Not Available.... where there exists a lack of data.... like respondents did not rate for these conditions.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

True... he did indeed... just thought I would throw in my $0.02 for a real mud tire. JimG

Reply to
JimG

It's the only tire I have had on my rig for over 17 years, and I can see no reason to change.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

BFG.

Steve

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Steve

That's what I got in the end. They seem pretty decent tyres. Thanks for the advice chaps.

Dave Milne

Rotate every 5000 km and they will last forever.

Steve

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Glad you said that. I was going to rotate every 3K miles when I do an oil change anyway, but I've seen some claims that the Mud Terrain is soft and wears quickly, and others like you who say it lasts 40K + miles. Was there a big difference between the Key Mud and the Mud Terrain that it replaced ? The lug pattern looks very similar.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Some say the new KM are softer than the old MT and wear faster, but I've only ground 6/32" off my set of five after 50,000 km - not bad.

The main change from MT to MT/KM was the addition of shoulder lugs that wrap around to the sidewall. The voids on the outer lugs are also wider for better mud-clearing. Tire installers report that the KM are easier to balance than the old ones.

Steve

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Steve