Tyres again

Hi, Forgive this newbie for raising a post that must have been done to death a thousand times by now.

I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee CRD (an IJ?) with 235/65R17 bog standard Good Year Wranglers as fitted new. I'm now coming up to 30K miles on them so expecting to need to replace them before too long.

From what I can tell BFG doesn't do a tyre of this size. I mostly do motorway/tarmac driving with a bit of caravan towing and the very occassional off road - wet grass, light mud with a little snow chucked in.

Can anyone suggest a replacement tyre or do I stick with the GY's.

MTIA Phil

Reply to
PhilB

That is an odd size you have. You could probably run the 245/65R17 (BFG makes them), only be about an half inch bigger.

HEIGHT = ((width * aspect-ratio * 2) / 2550) + rim size WIDTH = (width / 25.50 )

Yours would be: ((235*65*2)/2550)+17) = 28.98 inches of tire height. The tire width is

235/25.5 = 9.21 The 245 would be 29.5" by 9.6" with above formulas - BFG say 29.8"

Hope that helps.

Reply to
JimG

Then I found this:

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Hi JimG, Many thanks for the info, the tirerack website wizard comes up with the same wheel size as I have fitted. I guess Jeep must have decided to fit the bigger wheels to these models as standard. It has been suggest that the Michelin 4x4 Synchro would be a good tyre for what I want. The manual says that I can't fit chains to wheels bigger than 225/75R16 so following your conversion that makes my wheels slightly smaller in diameter (29" against

PhilB

I just replaced the tires on my 01GC Ltd with Michelin Cross Terrain. I decided on these after looking at tire evaluations on the tirerack website. They are suppose to be better than the OEM GY tires. Better traction in snow and rain. Smoother ride and less treadwear.

I paid $720 for four of them. I left the GY spare in place.

Like you I am coming up to 30K and needed to replace the GY's.

Larry Greenwood

Reply to
Larry Greenwood

For fairly good compromise between road noise, all weather traction, tread life, and light duty off road, check out the Michelin LTX M+S as well as the LTX AT. Or for just a tad better ice/snow, the 4x4 Alpin, but wouldn't want to run those all year round.

As for fitting the chains, has anyone tried a modest lift? Does a modest 1-2 inch lift help with clearance on the Grands in the event one actually ever had to put the chains on?

So far I've been getting thru checkpoints with two sets of chains from another 15 inch vehicle, but I'd go home rather than mount them.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11