Forgive me, for I have sinned

So with gas prices SUCKING recently I've been driving the '64 Beetle more than the schmancy gas-guzzling truck I recently bought. Almost an hour drive to get to work and it gets mighty quiet in there with the 12 volt setup and the 6 volt radio. So... I noticed Walmart had a special on a Sony stereo/CD/MP3 player with remote and 2 6X9 speakers and 2 6" mid-range speakers for...... $89 dollars. About $104 for the whole thing including tax and shipping. Holy crap!!! So I CAREFULLY examined the dash on the '64 and found out that by opening up the stock opening for the radio by about 1/4", I could put in a stereo worth having AND STILL BE ABLE TO PUT THE OLD ONE BACK IN LATER TO RESTORE IT AND THE OLD FACEPLATE COVERS THE NEWLY OPENED UP HOLE IN THE DASH JUST FINE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. :-) So now that the new "system" is installed, all I have to say is "What? Huh?" Holy crap that thing is loud and I only have two of the four speakers installed so far. Didn't have enough wiring to hook up all 4 speakers. Don't worry... no extra cutting for those either. I put them all on a shelf behind the passenger seats. I'm looking forward to the ride to work tomorrow now. :-)

Reply to
Shag

Cool.

A tad late now, but perhaps still useful: You can get glassfibre glovecomparment insert where you can fit a modern stereo and still close the door/lid. This way you can conseal the new unit and leave the original in place. Theft prevention.

You then cover your luggage compartment shelf with a stock looking material, leaving the speaker grilles off, and you have an "invisible" sound system.

Any further updates on the garage? Been shopping for suspension components? :)

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I did that very thing... and BOLTED DOWN the stereo.... funny thing was, one night somebody broke into my bug (well, the vent wing latches were already broken, so they sort of just reached in) and they took the papers in the glove box, the ash tray with change in it, but left the STEREO!!! (I want my '63 ash tray back!!!) KWW

Reply to
KWW