Weber Carb, 258 revisited

Thanks for the advice so far in installing my new Weber carb! It arrived today. I'm at work right now, but I opened the box and looked at the instructions, which say that the two gaskets should be coated with proper sealant, or grease. What is "proper" sealant for this -- the directions provide that silicon and rtv are not proper? If I use grease, how much should I use, and can I just use the grease that I use to lube the frount end of my TJ? Thanks.

Reply to
Sleestak

Sleestak did pass the time by typing:

I usually use Loctite 515 Gasket Eliminator for the metal to metal under my supercharger. But that's a bead with no gasket.

Generally you use only enough for a thin coat. What your tying to do is fill any tiny imperfections in the mating surfaces wihout clogging any passages.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's probably best just to assemble it without any sealant at all, just be sure to torque the sandwich plates and base nuts evenly, recheck frequently for the first month or so.

Reply to
Jerry McG