What type of glass for CJ2A windshield?

It seems like it has regular old plate glass in it right now. Is this okay, maybe because the size of each pane is so small that it has enough strength? I'm thinking I'll probably just throw a rock at it, or drop a rock on it, and see how bad it shatters. Then, if not too bad, I'll just replace it with the same kind. I'm trying to call around for prices though, and I'm not sure if it currently has plate glass or what kind of glass it is. Any recommendations? I own a motorcycle also, and plenty of times I drive around with the windshield down anyway, so I'm not to worried about "flying objects" I guess, but I also don't want the glass to shatter and make it even more dangerous than driving with no windshield.

Reply to
Eric

twaldron

Most state's law and antique auto clubs require the use of automotive safety glass in all vehicles, regardless of age.

Many states require motorcyclists to wear safety glasses, even some without helmet laws. I wear polycarbonate glasses day and night on my bikes, clear, dark and yellow. They get damaged and have to be replaced regularly.

California will let you ride a bike without glasses, but you cant drive your Jeep with the windshield down.

This is a world wide web, so questions about law should include your location, but common sense should be universal.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Automobiles are required to have a windshield if they are driven on the street, so you can't simply fold it down and avoid the flying glass. I don't recall when they started using safety glass in windshields, but I am thinking it was probably after that Jeep was built, so you probably do not have safety glass in it and your concerns are very real. It should have some kind of marks in the corner to tell you what it is. A good glass guy should be able to tell you what it is just by looking at it.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I was written up for it in 90, driving an old USMC truck. The law may have changed.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I think you are off by several years on safety glas windshields. I had a 32 Plymouth and a 38 Chevy Club Coupe - bith had safety glass windshields and I looked at a lot of junkers in the boneyard with the discolored middle layer. I vaguely recall that safety glass and hydraulic brakes came in about the same time. I'm not sure about the tempered side and rear windows, tho.

I do know that mechanical brake l> Automobiles are required to have a windshield if they are driven on the

Reply to
Will Honea

Graham-Paige motor company claimed the first auto with optional non-shattering safety glass in 1930. Libby-Owens Sheet Glass Co, had just merged with the Edward Ford plate glass Co, forming Libbey-Owens-Ford, mostly owned by the Graham Brothers, who build Dodge's early trucks for them. After WW2, Frazier bought the company, merged with Kaiser, who later bought Willys and made Jeeps, eaten by AMC, Dodge, and now our buddies, D-C. Interesting story of Graham,

andan obscure part of the Jeep history.Graham Club website,
have a 39 and 40 Supercharger "Sharknose", and Dad has an original custombodied 837 Limo

Reply to
Paul Calman

Crap! The Shaw url failed (page not found) when I tried it.

Reply to
Will Honea

Here in Ontario Canada, we just have to have a working wiper. It says nothing about glass or if the windshield is up or down.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for *all* that responded. I guess I really picked a hot-topic. At least if "safety glass" was what it originally came with, makes since to keep it that way.

Just a side note on the "windshield down" laws in California. I have no idea what the actual law says, but I'll tell you that if the CHP really wants to give you a ticket, they will, no matter what the law says. Now, if your lucky, the judge will throw it out, but still you probably had to miss a day of work to appear in court. I know I got 3 seat belt tickets in a 6 month period, in my 1949 CJ2A, when I lived in Brawley, CA. The judge got so tired of seeing me that he wrote me a note to show the CHP officers whenever they pulled me over, which happend another dozen or so times in the next year before I moved to Tucson, AZ. In Arizona I was told that I needed a windshield on my motorcycle, which wasn't correct, I just had to wear glasses (no helmet laws here). I wonder if the same applies for driving with the windshield down, maybe it is fine as long as your wearing glasses, or in Cali. maybe a helmet as well. But again, I have no idea, and the CHP can always write it up as "wreckless driving" if they really want to, and leave it up to the judge to decide.

Reply to
Eric

I just remember my driver's training classes in the late '60s when they showed movies of cars in crashes that had the windshields explode into flying shards of glass. The movies talked about people being killed by the glass that would have otherwise survived had the glass turned into little balls instead of spears. I don't remember what the vintage was of the examples they showed.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)