fyi if yer jeep won't start

-30 C or so here to-day, out of the house at 5:30 to head out ... rrrr ... sputter sputter ... rrrr. Won't fire up ... battery's getting low ... go get the charger, set it to 60 amps ... wait, try again. Oh yeah '96 Cherokee,

4.0 litre HO, auto tranmission. So I remembered someone posting that you can floor it ... so I did ... and she fired up !!! I could not believe it ... free advice ... and it worked ... but the jeep would not hold an idle and the check engine light was on ... so I sat there for a while warming it up. Then let it die while I packed up for work. She started ok but still no idle and check engine still on. Made my way to work doing the left foot brake, slide into neutral, keep it running at the stops thing. Stalled once, started again, check engine light not on ... ok, getting better ... but still no solid idle. Went in to work, checked the email, hada coffee, loaded up the laptop, said those yahoo I'm outta here "I'll be working at home" words, don't wanna get stuck here to-night. Went out, started the jeep up, and all is normal.

So what I'm saying is, before you call for a tow, consider the above. And by the way, what is that floor it technique doing ... bypassing/overriding something.

Thanks fer listening.

Reply to
bowgus

It has sensors in it that see a floored gas pedal and the starter turning as a flooded condition so it shuts off the injectors.

That implies to me a shaky connection on something electrical allowing the flood in the first place.

After the humidity of the last few days and this flash freeze, I would be suspecting some moisture got in the plug for something like the TPS or MAP or even the coil power plug and froze up.

I would be opening all of them up and spraying them out with WD40 then putting them back together with some dielectric grease on the seals to keep out any more water. Even just the spray is good for a while.

Mike

bowgus wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Generally when it's flooded you floor it.

Be carefull at cold temps when it floods out gas tends to get in the oil. Pull the dipstick and smell for gas. If so change it. Heck change it anyway to be safe.

Reminds me of my old 88YJ. The only day it wouldn't start was at -39 C, Well actually it did start but wouldn't idle right, it had a carb. Eventually it totally flooded out and died. A tow to a warm garage and a oil change fixed her right up. This was the only time the ol' buggy (that I drove for 12 years) ever let me down.. Sniff....I miss er :-(

P.S. Some> -30 C or so here to-day, out of the house at 5:30 to head out ... rrrr ...

Reply to
FrankW

Yeah ... I'm assuming just a "minor" malfunction that cleared itself ... but an interesting sequence of events ... never happened before, and hopefully won't happen again. Ok ... so thanks for the injector shut down info ... I'll guess the inability to idle resulted in minor flooding cleared by the injector shut down feature which got me going ... and something did not take kindly to sitting out in that cold damp night.

Reply to
bowgus

Oh yeah ... I'll WD the connectors but not today ... maybe in oh I dunno ... July :-)

bypassing/overriding

Reply to
bowgus

LOL!

Next week might be warmer around here according to the weather man, but crap man it is cold out right now.....

Mike

bowgus wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Could be the battery as well. I had a '99 Durango that had the battery die, completely. I started it, drove it for 15 miles, shut it off to get gas, and then nothing. Tried a jump pack and it'd start, but not idle. I had to do the same, drive with both feet so as not to let the RPMs drop. Later I found out that the startup electrical load is more than the alternator can handle, so the revs must be higher if the battery is shot. It'd settle down once warm and running for a bit, the idle would hold, but it was shaky.

Could be a similar situation, with things being so cold. But then it could be moisture in the fuel too...

Josh

Reply to
Steve G

Reply to
Redge Egder

I use a block heater ,,, the starter spun over just fine ... engine sputtered ... for the first 10, 15 tries ... then it was get out the charger, wait a minute and try again ... my jeep's in excellent electrical/mechanical condition ... I use a block heater, always have ... it just would not idle this morning. for a brief moment I was thinking ... oh no ... don't tell me the new fuel pump packed it in. Anyway, all's well ... just wanted to let others know that flooring might help out ... end of thread :-)

Reply to
bowgus

Reply to
Will Honea

Yeah ... I'll know if I have a real problem to-morrow. The condition is much like what happens to my boat on occasion which I attribute to water in the fuel. But with the boat, the fix is simple ... just up the idle stop so that it will go into gear without stalling and go for run. The boat ... 3.8 litre V6 odd-fire with 4bbl. My mechanic buddy swear by fuel injection .. I kinda got along better with carburators and mechanical fuel pumps ... at least you could get yourself going with a pair of vice grips, a hammer and a screwdriver :-)

Reply to
bowgus

Solution: Get a good battery, Use fuel line anti-freeze or ethonal blended gas, and use the block heater that is what it's for..

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
Will Honea

Geez ... that's all I need? And I went and bought a jeep. About ethonal ... it absorbs water (as does "gas line antifreeze") and can eventually become super saturated, and then ... it dumps all the water it has absorbed ... doh ... forget that. Got a good battery, use good winter blend fuel, use the block heater ... had many vehicles, jeeps are just plain ... ornary :-)

Reply to
bowgus

Yeah ... my old Saab had mechanical fuel injection ... and a 5th injector as cold start. To tune, just turn a screw until it ran about tright ... tooo easy ... maybe that was the problem :-)

bypassing/overriding

Reply to
bowgus

Don't take what I say the wrong way.. Just always here stories from people with vehicles that are supposidly in "excellent mechanical\electrical shape" but don't seem to start when it gets cold..

I've had three Jeeps, several gm trucks, never once had one not start in -40c and colder with nice windchills on top of that, or even had a problem starting.... Even two weeks ago when it hit -36c after having the jeep sit for three weeks, without plugging it in, she fired right up in under 5seconds and ran fine..

Reply to
Chris

No problem ... my intent was not to ask for advice ... just to offer the information that if for some reason your jeep won't start after trying a few times ... floor it and it might start saving you a tow. It was - 29 C again this morning ... the jeep started up just fine ... cold idled at about 1000 rpm as it has been doing for the past few years ... then settled down to the

750 or so as has been doing for years as it is supposed to.

I'm the pragmatic type ... for some reason the jeep would not hold an idle yesterday ... but I got it started by applying some free advice I'd read here ... and eventually all was normal. Good enough for me ... I'm not out pouring a variety of snake oil miracle fixes into the gas tank, or the crankcase, or the air intake, or buying a new alternator, or a new battery, or a battery warmer ... although a heated seat might be nice ... it was just one of those very cold very damp nights that f****d with my jeep ... too easy.

Reply to
bowgus

FYI, Winter blend fuel is just gas with Ethanol/gas line antifreeze already added.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Keating

That crap costs me 100 miles per tank!

Just recently I checked my mileage and all I could get was the 'winter' gas. Not nice to come out of the bush thinking I have tons of gas left only to put 70 liters in it. (76L tank)

Mike

Mike Romain