Winter Grill Inserts?

Reply to
FrankW

The door for the duct is waaayyyy up under the dash in the center. It has one cable to activate it with a second cable hooked to the vent door on the passenger side.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Roy J

Reply to
Roy J

This would present an issue. Don't cover any bit of your grill without the proper gauges to monitor the effectiveness. You really should have known better. ;-)

Reply to
-jc

Go to a boat or a detail shop and have them fabricate one out of vinyl with a Velcro face that has removable sections to fit the front sorta like a bra.

Reply to
HarryS

When I was much younger, I worked in a Mercedes dealer parts department. I remember the 190 sedan had an optional device that looked like a window shade (the roll-up kind) in front of the radiator. It was rolled up from the bottom with a line that ran inside to the driver and had a ball chain on the end (like a key chain, only larger) that hooked like the doors on the old fashioned kitchen exhaust fans. When you released it, it would roll back down onto the roller. The ball chain allowed you to "lock" it in any amount of coverage you wanted. It was actually a pretty cool design.

Reply to
TJim

On 10 Dec 2003 04:16 PM, TJim posted the following:

That is a radiator blind. I have a book for my '59 MGA which lists all the original equipment configurations, and there was one listed as an option, although I've never seen one or even a picture of one actually installed. A british sports car isn't exactly the optimal winter vehicle, but my dad claimed to have had a ski rack for it at one time ( he bought the car in '63) and somewhere in a crate I still have a set of rusty tire chains for it.

I'm kind of surprised that I've never seen a modern equivalent for a radiator blind sold for use in northern climes. I'd probably buy one for the Jeep, although I'd have to re-route the hydraulic lines for my winch since they go right through the grill now.

When I went to school in Fairbanks, vinyl grill covers were a big thing up there although I never liked the idea of adding external snaps to my rig. I eventually bought some grill inserts for my S-10 but never found that they made a big difference.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

On my sons 4 banger 93 YJ we removed the fan cowl for the winter and that has made a big difference, be sure to check the fan clutch if it has one, a faulty clutch can give you too much cooling.

I use a th>On 10 Dec 2003 04:16 PM, TJim posted the following:

Reply to
Jeepster

J.C. Whitney used to carry the doggone things, pretty much as described... a cord into the interior controlling a glorified window shade. Haven't seen any since the reorganized Whitney.

Reply to
Lon Stowell