WRANGLER DISCONTINUED?

Current car magazine states the Wrangler is to be completely changed for

2007. Gas tank in center of vehicle and whole thing completely redesigned. Anybody have any more details on this??
Reply to
INDIVIDUAL

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Now, Bill be fair - the 60's - 90's Wagoneer was like that also, and with the tyre under the body (a stupid idea which LandRover has now picked up on with the new Discovery 3).

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

First I have heard but I would not be surprized because Dalmer does not have a clue of what a Jeep stands for or what is supposed to be.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

mabar

You see where the muffler is?? there gonna sell lots of aftermarket mufflers and exhaust on this thing...a couple good trails outta rip it off easy!

Reply to
4X4PLAY

We don't need no stinkin' mufflers!! If Harleys can run straight pipes with impunity, so can we.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

All the manufacturers are relocating fuel tanks. This would make me think it was part of a government mandate.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Gosh, next thing you know they'll be putting them under the driver's seat!

I mean, What kind of JEEP would that be ?!?

H.

Howard Eisenhauer

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III
127,493 brand new Fords have already been recalled for fuel tank strap failures. Seems they tried to save some money on the straps.

"The fuel tank straps may break at higher mileages, potentially resulting in the fuel tank and fuel tank heat shield dropping on the exhaust system (FWD vehicles) or driveshaft (AWD vehicles). If the fuel tank and shield contact the exhaust or driveshaft, the driver may notice noise or a fuel leak. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire."

Reply to
billy ray

It might be in response to new NTHSA fuel safety requirements (Press release from 2003, no details) or it might be defense against fire-related civil suits, or some combination of the two. Either way, the SAE has recognized the need to protect fuel tanks and/or relocate them out of the "crush zones" since at least 1970.

D> All the manufacturers are relocating fuel tanks. This would make me think

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Could you get a Real Wagoneer going fast enough to roll it?

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I had a '76 Pinto in the '90s:^) Called it my "Explodomobile"

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

It wasn;t limited to the Pinto, if memory serves my brother's '70 Torino (I drove it in high school) had a similar fuel tank setup. Each time you opened the hood you'd get a whiff of gas.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III