XJ Front end noise?

Hello,

I have a '93 Cherokee with a RE 3" kit I installed a couple of years ago. Just recently it stated making a popping noise in the frontend when the steering column goes past center, particularly to the left. I've looked underneath and cant see anything, but unfortuneatly I havent had anyone to turn the wheel while I'm underneath to locate the sound. I've grabbed on to most of the front end and tried to shake it, but nothing seems loose. Anyone got any guesses? I know its not much info, but I figured it might be a common thing someone could point out. Thanks

Reply to
Matt Mika

One possibility is .... Front swaybar .... the mounts that attach to the front frame cross member wear out (the rubber wears out) and the sway bar can 'hit' the frame.

Reply to
Rich Hampel

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Matt,

I heard the same popping noise a few months after installing a RE 4.5" lift. Checked that everything was tight, but no joy. Then when I was underneath with someone turning the wheel, I could clearly see the RE HD track bar mount moving ever so slightly with each pop. One bolt wouldn't tighten because it was seized so I gave it a bit of heat, cranked it down and no more noise.

Steve

Matt Mika wrote:

Reply to
Steve

My money is on your track bar. Mine did that. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego