Kia Cerato Dorr Locks

I recently purchased a Cerato which is just over 12 months old. I'm having problems with the door locks, when I use the fob to unlock the car, it locks again straight away before I get chance to open the door. Any Ideas? Cheers Coachman707

Reply to
coachman707

Had that same problem on wife's 02 Optima a couple of years ago. Had to have the dealer replace the on-board door lock controller.

Rich

Reply to
mookie

right thanks for that i'll have to contact the dearler then cheers

Reply to
coachman707 via CarKB.com

I live in the U.S. and do not know what a Cerato is. But I do own a Kia Sedona minivan. I have noticed that when I use the keyfob, I have only a few seconds (I don't know - maybe 10, 15, 20, something like that) to get one of the front doors open before the van re-locks. And if I open something other than a FRONT door (sliding side door, back hatch, etc.), it will still re-lock everything else.

Don't know why this is or why they would program it like that. The only thing you can do is to not use the fob until you are much closer to the vehicle, and then even if you want to open up the hatch/trunk, quick pull the front door open and re-close it again. That keeps it from re-locking, at least it does for me.

Yes, it's a pain, but not enough for me to take a trip all the way to my dealer and have it in the shop most of the day, waiting for my turn.

One other thing - like most men, I keep my keys in my pocket. Apparently, the button is notorious for wanting to be pushed while it is inside the pocket.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Tom ~ Wife's Optima worked perfectly (door locks, that is) and then abruptly went into the quick relock spasm. I was told by the dealer, whom I trust as I have bought 13 cars from him, that this was (at the time) a common KIA problem. The car was still under warranty, so the repair was at no cost.

As for the notorious "pocket-push", I too have that problem with my 2001 Chrysler Sebring. I lock the door, unlock the door, pop the trunk and set off the alarm simply by walking past the car. Not good!

Rich

Reply to
mookie

"Rev. Tom Wenndt" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com:

Which is why it re-locks after a brief delay (30 seconds on my Optima) in case you accidently push the button while walking away from the parked car.

Reply to
Jeff

I had the same problem with my 03 Optima with 40,000 thousand miles on it. I could not unlock it on the driver's side. It would just relock inself instantly.

Had to take it to the dealer. They replaced something and now it works great.

Reply to
Easy