101 Ambi - Thoughts around mounting the Spare

Ok peeps,

Some Radio bodied 101's had the spare mounted up front of the grill. My thoughts initially were that this would block the air flow... but then I tried to recall my limited aerodynamics knowlege and wondered if the wheel would infact create low pressure behind it and subsequently assist the sucktion of cooler air from between the void between Chassi and grill.. which is probabbly as big as the grill it's self.

Other option is the roof.. problem is getting it there and susequent centre of gravity issues.

Finally the back doors.. but I don't want to butcher the door and also like the option of having them flush against the side when open.

Thoughts please

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Ladder with a little trolley that runs on it, and then attach a rope (or small hand winch) to the trolley to move it up or down.

I need a ladder to get up to my roof rack anyhow..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Oh bugger, not this one again... I still have to work out the best way of doing this - at present the spare is mounted in my trailer, in Sheffield - with a mobile phone in Grumble to call Warren to bring it out should I need it...

Yup, maybe. Mine are going to be interesting there...

Forget the roof.

Ditto - although I was interested in the flip down back step idea as devised by Sue and Malcolm in HEX. I've looked at a hydraulic lift system for this, off a 12v pump.

My brain hurts...

Reply to
Mother

A 101 with an "out of cheese error" ?

Who is this Hex of which you speak ? Any piccies ?

You could run them off the compressor, if its still fitted to Grumble.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Ta for that.

Tis.

You didn't dump the compressor did you ?

What a great idea. Can we watch ? From about 1 mile off should be right.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Nice bit of kit!

H'mmm would need to accomodate inside opening of the rear door... suppose it's possible..sounds like work... and would make a mess of the caravan if deployed in error.

Bugger... right.. will a decent sized LPG tank fit alng side the compressor tank assuming I dump the barrey box. Could always run it on compressed lpg and use the waste on booster rockets. ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

It looks like a bugger to do on "Wendy" (had to go with "Bob") too. Maybe I should make a custom bolt for it ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

No.. very reluctant to.. only two reasons to do so.. space required for the LPG tank (I think it's goint to be tight!)

Also the blasted compressor on Morph is positioned such that I can't get owt on the Dizzy clamp bolt... more of a problem as it's slightly slack enough to afford prompted self adjustment in an undesired kind of way. Dunno if they are all like that or just Morph being No1 Ambi.

Wuss!

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Judging by the size of your wheels, I suspect that you need a 1ton GKN to carry the bugger anyway....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

+++ Redo From Start +++

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Having removed the spare off the bonnet I now face the same problem with my 127 ambulance ...and can vouch for the fact that getting it on and off the roofrack is a right royal pain in the rear!

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

On or around 06 Jul 2004 08:07:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comknujon (AN6530) enlightened us thusly:

what was wrong with having it on the bonnet?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I don't like bonnet mounted spares.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

In message , AN6530 writes

Could you not use a Wolf side mount?

Reply to
Graham Jones

On or around 06 Jul 2004 12:04:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comknujon (AN6530) enlightened us thusly:

stops the bonnet rattling, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Very true ;-) But it also makes it painful if the bonnet stay gives way while you're underneath.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

On or around 07 Jul 2004 07:49:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comknujon (AN6530) enlightened us thusly:

mind, the one on my 110 was like the old series one, bleddy great solid thing, and most unlikely to give way. The flimsy wire affair on the disco I'd not trust for a minute, it does all right for the bonnet by itself.

Reply to
Austin Shackles