Bonnet mounting spare on TD5

I've just ordered a new 110 CSW and there is no option for a bonnet mount spare with the TD5 engine?

does anyone know why, as the spare makes the back door really heavy and cuts down rear Viz?

cheers Rob.

Reply to
Rob B

So Rob B was, like

Discussed about a month ago - do a Google search.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thanks,

Only joined the group this week, so I'll have a search round.

cheers

Reply to
Rob B

I'd much rather lose a bit of rear viz than have a bonnet mounted spare that costs me front viz!

Reply to
EMB

AFAIK, the Defender bonnet was not designed to carry a spare. Structurally not the same from its predecessor Series vehicles. Besides, I would worry the front viz more than the rear viz, as you spend more time looking front while driving (i hope). a spare on the bonnet would cut down your front windscreen by half.

A rear spare carrier (e.g. Mantec) will help alleviate the weight off the back door, that's what I have on my 110.

Cheers,

+kent

Reply to
__k_e_n_t_s_h_i_h__

Some extra strengtheners are required for Defender bonnets to cary a spare (we also have one customer who has done this to a Td5 bonnet with no ill effects, so far.......)

All the bits required are on our site, MUC6418 and MUC6419 being key bits, plus the actual clamps etc

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Alternatively you could just source and spary up a decent earlier 90 / 110 bonnet which has been fitted with a pukka spare wheel carrier ;-)

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

On or around 23 Nov 2004 09:04:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comknujon (AN6530) enlightened us thusly:

ISTR that the framework under the bonnet on the older ones hits the engine, or something.

on my old 110, I removed the rear door mounting and put that on the bonnet This worked very well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The framework under the bonnet of my 90 doesn't hit the top of the Td5 engine.... I think the changes were made to cut the costs of producing the bonnet - on the Td5s it's a one piece pressing underneath I think, instead of the lengths of u-section welded together.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

Was having a look earlier today.

Get a Wolf bonnet - they're rigged for it and seem to be the same general shape as a D90 bonnet.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

that's exactly what I did with mine.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Cheers for all the replies - I'll keep my eyes peeled for a TDI bonnet with the mounting kit on it.

With regard to front Viz, all my other landrovers have had bonnet mounted spares to no detrimental effect.

My current '55 Series One has more of a problem with poor wipers in this weather! :-)

Regards Rob.

Reply to
Rob B

There is a definate reduction of visability which only bothers me on tricky off-road situations and it's not been much of a problem yet. take your spare off and lay it on your bonnet, then see if you are happy with the reduction of visability, I'm 6'4" and it's not bothered me.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

The Bearmach wheel carrier I have also shifts the wheel to the right by a few inches as well. This makes rearward vision a bit better as well as saving the hinges on the door.

Reply to
Simon Barr

In message , Mr. Nice. writes

But he old bonnets were stronger than the current ones. I discovered that when I walked on mine (to clean the windscreen) and it dented.

Reply to
hugh

I would be interested in seeing pictures or more information on what company can strengthen the TD5 defender bonnet for a spare wheel mount?

Reply to
3LB