101 Ambi tow hitches

I need to fit a tow hitch to my ambi to pull a standard trailer (not nato). I have already collected some sketches of how I intend to fabricate the hitch plate and connect it to the chassis, but would appreciate it if any of you have done a similar thing and would be willing to share your experience and photos with me.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Lee dunnit. You kept the step ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Several options. Laurie Wright has just drilled holes at the right height, then unbolts the ball when he wants to drop the step.

You can also make an indented part of the rear step so it covers the ball when the step is down.

Andy had a removable one on the Yin (the one Kay now has - she's fairly close to you, you could go have a look). Same type that you get on Mercs and the like - bayonet type clip-in.

Reply to
Mother

Yeah, Lee's done it.

He has a nice ambi rear step with a cut out in it so that it can fold down over the towball.

Piccies on his site at:

Tom Woods

Its a neat job isn't it ? Does an ambi have the right ratings though to tow, given its kerb weight, compared to a GS ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:11:01 +0000, Steve scribbled the following nonsense:

yep, got a spare step as well!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:03:38 +0000, Tom Woods scribbled the following nonsense:

almost the same as my planned job!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Eh? Discuss... cos I'm about to lug a Big caravan to a couple of events this year with Morph.

I'd have thought as long as it will tow what ever is behind then the kerb weight is actually to it's benifit. I'd anticipate no more than 75kg's down on the tow bar, given the shortness of the distance between the rear axle and the tow bar then it'll be a much nicer tug than say a 127/130.

I just need to get some supports made to run from the bottom of the tow bar to the chassis to save shared bolts and knackered rear step and doors as seen elsewhere.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I am sure we had a thread on this on one of our mutual groups, or possibly in Six-Stud. ISTR that Darren or Al pointed out that the ambi wasn't really tow rated. but I may well be wrong.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I think that's absolutely essential.

Not nice.

Reply to
Mother

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:44:28 +0000, Steve scribbled the following nonsense:

Plate in my my ambi says "maximum recomended towing capacity 2 tons" Go figure!

I think the reason that Ambis were not tow rated is something to do with the Geneva Convention. I seem to remember it was a dark night at Gaydon, with lots of beer, and it was Al who telling me all of this. When I pointed out that a 101 ambi converted to a motorhome is no longer really an ambi, he did agree that the Geneva Convention would no longer apply.

Bear in mind I've summarised a 3 hour discussion in 5 lines!! Managed to escape because my can was empty!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:02:42 +0000, Mother scribbled the following nonsense:

ouch!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Simon Isaacs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Going back to plan A though Si.. the drop plate I had welded on (as per the piccys by a pucker coach builders!) was from a series vehicle. It cost me £5 from a tat stall at Gaydon including tow ball. The extention thingy mer wotsit came from a VW beetle tow bar I scrapped a while ago. I must get the reinforcements done as I've an appointment with a green lane in Feb hopefully from a caravan site in Ashbourne with a pub on site :-) ...

Speaking of which Mother did you get the email?

Al donated the modified rear step... my rear step was all steel...including the skin...bloody prototypes! My old one was heavily dinked and very rusty.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Simon Isaacs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Phew!

I hadn't planned shooting the hitch in the ball whilst displaying Red cross signs ;-)

Oh I feel I have also had this conversation , summat to do with Ambi's registered with the NHS trust for national emergencies.

I prefer to think of Morph as a "field cafe" with fully paid up tax and tow bar. ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:14:52 -0000, "Lee_D" scribbled the following nonsense:

yep, I have an old series drop plate form my S3, hence my thinking along your lines. Will probably bolt through once welded as though just in case. Job was getting done in a local welders. Managed to churn out some AutoCAD designs which they loved. Well, I had to get used the software I teach the kids!

My spare step came from Al, current one is split, but have plans so that step can be left down with doors shut, a la Martyn.

Guessing the pub at Ashbourne is the Hurt Arms??? Not a bad little place, well used by GLASS.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Simon Isaacs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Dunno the pub name... mission is to A) get the little man to ride minus stabalisers (tissington trail is also adjacent) B) Do a few tame/scenic green lanes (weather permitting - don't want to do any damage) C) Gesh drunked hic!#!

:0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Can't you do this anyway?

I can't decide what to do with my rear step. I was thinking of hanging my spare on the back door - and that would be easier if i took the step off and made the door bigger.

How heavy is the rear step too? I fancied saving a bit of weight too!

Reply to
Tom Woods

...and Simon Isaacs spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Couldn't be a better name, judging by the state of mine.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Not unless chopped so it slots over said towey thing duffer.. Then you have the issue of a draught during the night. Martyn has a rather clever board which is bolted (mortice bolts) in to place to keep the weather out.

You need to see Morphs front wheel carrier.. I now have an extra 18 inches crumple zone... which means I now have 18 inches of total crumple zone :-)

Not as heavy as an all steel one....but I'd guess as heavy as about 10 litres of water (given we are talking campers/expo vehicles)

If I wasn't trying not to bugger Morphs external features about I'd be removing one door and fitting the right hand door (as viewed from behind) in the centre as seen elsewhere (queue Martyn and suitable image :-) ) Then make this door full length and bung the wheel on it init.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:34:16 -0000, "Lee_D" scribbled the following nonsense:

can be a cold site can callow top

Reply to
Simon Isaacs