Tyred Out and Jacked Up

Whilst out in the wilds of Staffordshire yesterday I had a puncture in the rear nearside of my 1990 110 Defender CSW.

Not a problem, with two spares on the car and all the proper Landrover jacking kit, this should be a doddle.

I set the jack in the rear mounting post and whilst my wife started to jack the car up, I released the wheel nuts.

Then there was this funny noise and the car dropped slightly (it hadn't got that far up fortunately!)

So, as you've probably already guessed, the fixings of the jacking tube gave way (or I suppose "eased" to be pedantic!)

Is repairing this (the jacking tube) a major job, or something even worth bothering about? After all, I can get a 4 ton bottle jack for around £15 from Machine Mart, it's more compact (and just as functional) as all the components of the LR jack! Also, I assume that the jacking tube is "structural" for the jack, but for nothing else!

On a related subject as I was towing the caravan from Stafford back to Trowbridge the following day, I thought it best to get a replacement tyre (I know I said I have two spares, but the one on the rear door is actually cosmetic - it needs a new inner tube).

I then spent half an hour on the phone in the centre of Stafford late Friday afternoon, trying to find a spare tyre. In a perfect world I was after an Avon Rangemaster, in this world, I was after anything that was round and the right size. I eventually found a tyre depot in Eccleshall that would supply a "budget" tyre for £40 (I know, you get what you pay for), but this was only going to be a "get you home" tyre anyway.

The tyre make is "Security" and it is "Made in China". Anybody ever heard of it?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

It's the "web" part that's given way, yes? So the jacking tube is pointing up at the sky when looking from the back?

You need to replace the rear crossmember to do the job properly, yours sounds like it's pretty rotten. A hundred and fifty quid for the parts, quite a lot for the labour to do it properly. Make sure to buy the crossmember with extensions, it'll make life easier to fit and the rear end may be thin anyway. A bottle jack will get you by for the moment, though I'd always recommend a trolley jack if you can spare the space to stow it as they're so much quicker and safer to use, especially the ones that lift in one stroke. Less time spent with lorries whizzing beside your head the better in my book.

No. It may be a lorry tyre? Have never seen an off road tyre of that brand.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Richard - how much for the rear crossmember (with extensions) 1990 110 CSW TD

Anything else I'll need? (Apart from patience, skill, experience, welder, time.........) all of which (except the welder) I'm lacking!!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Yes, I've got two on the front of my 109", same tread as Goodyear Extragrip (Army type) 7.50x16, done a lot of miles and hardly worn, can't knock 'em, not remoulds either.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Yep - good tyres, we've sold a lot of them and not had any complaints.

Reply to
EMB

Derry Argue did this fairly recently, so his memory is probably fresh!

Ehh.. station wagon, take off towbar + wiring if fitted, drain, disconnect + drop fuel tank. Roll bar may need disconnected as well. Wiring for the back lights + fuel gauge goes through the chassis off side leg - well, you're going to be chopping + welding there so you'll have to take care of that. You'll do a better job if you have proper access to the top side of the chassis, ideally with no body on but that's a large job on a 110 SW! You'll probably get by with lifting the body to get access, it depends somewhat on how rotten your rear chassis legs are and where you have to cut the new extension overlaps. Some form of jig can be usefull to make absolutely sure that your new crossmember is in exactly the same place as the last one! Other than that you just have a few visible bolts at the back for the body (don't bother with spanners for these, cut them off as you don't have to worry about damaging the old crossmember) and one exhaust hanger, a few minutes with the grinder and a heavy lump of rusty metal full of mud drops with a lound clang onto the floor..... Make sure and paint the new one afterwards, especially around the welds and a dose of waxoyl wouldn't go amiss either. A blast from the jetwash to keep it clean on a regular basis to shift the muck that collects there and harbours damp will ensure you don't have to do the job again for some time!

I suppose it would be an idea to check very carefully first that the rest of the chassis is in good fettle, if it looks like you're going to need new outriggers or dumb irons soon as well then maybe saving the cash and putting it towards a new chassis is an idea.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Arguably the tube is part of the crossmember, and so I'd view at as a warning that the rear crossmember is not happy. Mind you , under the latest rules thats not a MOT failure!

5 Ton Hinka bottle jack in a nice carry case £13.00 here (inc VAT)

Ha! Going from where I live to where I used to! (Well, ok, Bratton, but spent a lot time in Trowbrige - Pee Wee's to be exact).

You should have rung here - I could have lent you one!

Can't say I have - but for emergencies who cares? BTW Bronco in Leek have a good price on Rangemasters - £85 inc VAT for 8 or 12 ply.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

£164 inc VAT.

Possibly a few bolts etc (the tank has to come out, the anti-roll bar off and the tow hitch off). If you assumed all bolts (except the main towing hitch ones) would need relplacing then about £15.

A good time to have a look at the state of the tank.......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd