101 noise on overrun & other flibbity gibbets

Anything over 50mph ish if i lift my foot i can hear a grumble type noise, there is no grumble type noise on acceleration. I know Lee did the front diff ages ago.

I still dont feel the engine's running right either, i got one pop in the manifold today, only the one, but it still not running smooth under load & the dizzy is still rattling like a grannies teeth. I don't think it is pinking, it think it's missing & feeling 'strangled' for it. At tickover, it runs sweet as a nut. How much would a new dizzy cost? Could the lumenition kit be at fault? What can i do to check this?

If a new dizzy cost a few quid, i would rather spend it to get a new one & get my man to fit the lumenition kit to it etc.

Is there meant to be a bush in the gear change elbow btw? there aint one on Morph!

It started tonight after 3 weeks sat in the works yard first time!! the tryes felt fecking oblong for about 3 miles though!!

Better sort the bodge on the bit of wire holding the throttle cable to the bracket!!! I'll take a pic foir the laugh!

Reply to
Nige

They are supposed to do that! Save up for a fancier front prop if you dont like it. ;)

we went through this in the last thread didnt we?

not one on mine.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Could still be the infamous Front Prop Rumble. Even rebuilding the diffs can´t shift that.

I thought RIchard said a few weeks back

Its POSSIBLE the timing is off a bit. Have you checked, and made sure it isn´t dithering around ?

Well, sort of. What have you got ? Just a hole, with lots of jaggle ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

I never got an answer (that my isp) let me see anyway mate! I left the story as i posted the number & i never got an answer back, but i would prefer new or good recon. No idea about Lumenition etc. One thing i have to have right is the engine running sweet etc.

One point, is this engine OK to run on unleaded etc? Has it been setup wrong etc?

Bugger the prop, not arsed, didn't know what it was, i suppose the UJ's might be fooked or getting there?

Reply to
Nige

Sorry, i thought Richard just posted a price for any early RR dizzy. £300 is rather too much to be honest! I'll have to find a place that does recon dizzies then.

My news servers s**te at the minute, gonna have to re-join news.ind etc.

I'll live with the prop rumble, thought it might have been death rattle for summat!

What do you mean by 'dithering around' mate?

Reply to
Nige

There is a place here called Digby´s which I think does them. I´ll check on Monday for you. I still need to get your new mirrors.

Pay´s your money takes your choice, I´d use Zen for all my internet if I were you. And so would Tom.

Set up a GOOD timing light, and make sure that the timing stays rock solid at fixed revs. If the lumenition trigger is going on the fritz, the timing might be moving about too much. On my sparkatronic unit, there is a dibbler that drops into the vacuum advance lever under the dizzy plate. Is there a chance Lee did´t get the dibbler on the lumention unit in ? It was a bit of a job on mine - and to all intents and purposes it looks and works "fine" - until the engine is working hard. I found I hadn´t got mine right that way. That, and its possible to get the engine working with the wrong disk on the dizzy shaft.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Lee posted the URL of John richards in hinstock where my mate bought one new a few months back for somehwere between £70 and £90

Its down to the angle i gather.

Reply to
Tom Woods

try here too

has every possible military spare by the container load (except for101 specific bits as some bugger from the club bought all them to makemy life harder!)

I use N.I.N for news! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ta matey, that hit the spot"!!!

Reply to
Nige

PS steve - please email me!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Have done. 10.00

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:34:08 -0000, "Nige" scribbled the following nonsense:

now you know the reason that Martyn gave Grumble his name. Steve was looking at a diff roling experiment I believe to try and solve this problem, as its due to prop angles.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

The internet hamsters must run slower on friday night! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Nice one, now I know what it is I aint arsed. Weight transfer forward onto the U-joints then i reckon.....

That must mean a very low lifespan?

Looking at some of the reports Lee gave me (from 'sources') there are far more things to worry about than a noisy front prop UJ!

Just want the noisy dizzy sorting & the popping & rough running. That & the broken throttle cable!!

Reply to
Nige

Still on going. Maybe I'll do the cutting over Christmas. The jigging and tooling up of it has taken some time

Steve

Reply to
steve

You just get used to not driving on part throttle on the motorway / dual carriageways. Either accelerate or don't and the rumble isn't a problem.

Burrt has a very nice Mallory dual point dizzy, which to be honest I bought because it had a red cap! Big dosh, but very pretty!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

another thought - have you had the dizzy out? When Warren pulled the original one on Burrt the shaft was almost smooth (well, very jagged actually, but the teeth had almost worn away). Couldn't have been far from complete failure - that could be the rattling and if it's that bad then the timing could be all over the place?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

It CAN eat Harder-Spicers.

I was told that the ambi tended to be better than the GS because the extra load helps the prop angles. Does Burrt still rumble ?

Steve

Reply to
steve

Not round here :(