1984 Land Rover 110 - missing flywheel cover

Hi

I have recently purchased 1984 Land Rover 110 with V8 petrol engine - great vehicle. Yesterday, I was working underneath the car, trying to clean the chassis, and noticed that i can see something that looked like exposed flywheel.

Today I have taken some photos and you can see them here

Nothing seems to be broken or damaged, cover is just off. The surrounding area is all covered with oil. But vehicle is still drivable, actually I was driving it like this at least for couple of days.

Can someone help? Can you tell me, what is the name of the part I am missing? What would be the cost of replacement? Is it safe to drive the car to take it to the garage? And lastly, i guess there could be the more serious damage done to exposed components, but what signs should i look for?

Thank you Lev

Reply to
Lev

Lev uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Just needs a new cover for the fly wheel, running with it off will result in a build up of crud on the starter bendix which may result in the starter motor playing up. It certainly will if you go wading through mud. Further damage to the crankshaft oil seal could also be a problem from foreign bodies.

Most breakers for landies should be able to fix you up with one... or make one from ally doesn't look all that technical.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee