2M100 Starter fault (Series III Petrol)

I've been having an intermittent starting problem for a while on my Series III lightweight. It behaved OK at KORC, but I decided I needed to check and clean various terminals.

It turns out that some REME oik-in-green had used a steel nut on the brass starter motor terminal post, and stripped the threads. So the contact depended on the pressure exerted by the spring washer pressing the nut against a couple of turns of thread left at the end.

Bugger.

2M100 Lucas starter, and no real detail on this in either Haynes or the workshop manual.

Has anyone fixed a similar problem? Is it a local repair by a competent auto-electrics operation or careful home mechanic, or is it service exchange? I note that Craddocks sell brushes, so actually getting in to the inside of the end cap shouldn't be the problem.

(From my farming days. I know of one competent auto-electrics place in Lincoln, but I'm not sure if they deal with the Prince of Darkness--that little affair was over a German-made combine harvester.)

My father is wittering about taps and dies, but seeing how much is left, I don't think so.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Most parts are readily available for Lucas starters, including the rather sorry bolt you need. I'd suggest you disassemble it and take said knackered part to the local Lucas service agent and obtain another one (that plan of action works here in NZ so it should work for you

12000 miles closer to the home of ye olde prince of darkness).
Reply to
EMB