300tdi timing belt

I picked up the 300tdi timing belt modification kit (part number STC4096L) from MacRae & Dick of Inverness for my Defender 90 today. Over £70 trade price. Ouch!

My Land Rover has a VIN number around 128000 (not sure of the exact number off hand!) and the fly sheet that comes with the modification kit states as follows:

"ERR7143 Seal - crankshaft front is to be fitted to vehicles in the following VIN ranges when fitting STC4096L kit -- option 2 -

- Defender VA 107351 to VA 129096".

So my Defender is included as one within this range. Should I have got the seal or is it only required if I damage the seal I take out? It is quite expensive at around £18 so if I can do without it, I'd like to! Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks for any advice.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I read that as saying that if you are fitting the kit to vehicles in that range the seal should be fitted, otherwise it need not. So yes you should fit one. It's a bummer, but there must be some reason why!!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

richard.watson wrote in news:282bd64f4c% snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com:

That's how I read it but MacRae & Dick parts department thought otherwise. I think I'll take your advice and go the expensive (but safe) way.

Thanks.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue