7.50 R 16 tyres

Last time I enquired about tyres for the 110, they were pretty cheap.

Now town+country tyres in 7.50 R16 seem almost made of unobtanium. My local independent place can't get them at a sensible price, and a bit of googling indicates people are changing to different profiles. This strikes me as odd, since half the world uses Landys, and they can't all have replacement wheels.

The landy is about 21 years old, with the original steel wheels, and tubed tyres. Can anyone suggest what I can legally fit (tubed) to the existing wheels, for general road (and occasional off-road) use, or is it more cost-effective to swap to a different wheel/tyre combo altogether?

The other puzzlement (if I change the wheels) is that wheel+tyre sets come in fours, not fives. What do the purchasers do if they get a flat?

Thoughts appreciated...

S.

PS: Minibus tyres are available, but they look way too heavy-duty for a Landy.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

235/85 R 16? Same rim diameter, same rolling radius, near as dammit.

For road and light off-road use, Mud &Snow rated minibus tyres should be okay, as long as the height's right. They may have reinforced sidewalls, too, like van tyres. Check the weight rating, though. Are you looking at new or remoulds?

Reply to
John Williamson

From my own research into the same subject I think that 235/85 R(adial)16 are to all extents the modern equivalent of the 750's (nearly all crossplys)

I suspect the dimensions area all to do with our "Masters in Brussels" who now dictate (or attempt to dictate every aspect of our life - like me being told my weight was 76 kilograms (and then finding out what the equivalent "Englishman" weighed!)

Julian

Reply to
Julian Pollard

In article , Julian Pollard writes

Thanks very much, gents.

I've got about 2k miles life left in them at the moment, which gives me a bit of time to get organised, I hope.

235/85 seems the way to go.

Cheers,

S.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In message , SpamTrapSeeSig writes

Same diameter but wider tread.

Reply to
hugh

Simon Hi,

as Hugh has already replied the 235/85 R16 tyres are wider. In fact a 7.5 X 16 is nominaly 190.5 mm wide while the 235 is exactly what it says at 235 mm (nominaly, true size may be different from tyre manufacturer to tyre manufacturer and from thread design to thread design)

A set of 235 tyres may increase your fuel consumption, decrease your top speed (if there is any logic in discussing about top speed on a Land Rover discussion group...) and put more load to your steering system.

Some people say that a wider footprint may have some advantages on offroad driving but my experience tends to show that a thinner tyre operates better under most circumstances and where a wider thread is needed you can always deflate the 7.5 tyre to a similar or even larger width than the 235.

As for availability of tyres with 7.5 X 16 size here in Greece we have now started using re-threads since they appear to be offering a much wider selection of thread types than new tyres.

Brands we chose and have used include the LERMA and the MALATESTA. Both are Italian made and up to now have returned excellent results both on the way they handle on the tarmac and off the road and on the way they stand the usually hot Greek weather and terrible greek roads.

hope this helps Pantelis Giamarellos

Pantelis Giamarellos

In article , Pantelis Giamarellos writes

It does indeed.

You're right about top speed - I have a Discovery engine instead of the original TD, and whilst it's more powerful, the top speed isn't great, I'm not keen on reducing it any more, nor increasing my fuel use. I don't do much off-roading (she's a work-horse really), so I'll keep an eye open for re-treads.

Thanks,

S.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Simon and fellow members good morning,

If your Discovery engine was fitted to your Defender together with its turbocharger may I suggest you increase the wastegate activation pressure a bit?

If it is a 200Tdi this can be easily done. You just undo the safety clip holding the adjusting rod of the wastegate valve to the turbocharger's iron side and shorten its travel by four turns. This will increase the operating pressure of your turbocharger to about 0,95 - 1,00 bar from the factory set

0.78 bar.

It is far safer if you first measure the factory set wastegate/turbocharger operating pressure with a turbo pressure gauge and then increase it. If your engine was purchased secondhand there is a slight possibility that the previous owner may have increased the operating pressure so it is better to check before you interfere with it.

You will get more oomph out of your Tdi if you also increasing the fueling, which is also good for the longevity of your engine.

Doing so on a Tdi with a mechanical main fuel and distribution pump is pretty straightforward and full instructions with photos can be found on the internet. If you want to do it I can provide you with the links. But this will increase your fuel consumption.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos