90 Steering Problems

After spending an afternoon sorting the Defender 110 ('96) for its MOT. I have a problem with my steering.

The Defender is shod with standard alloy wheels and tyres. The problem is that the steering to the nearside causes the tyre to rub on the front 'radious arm'. Having checked the tyre pressures, steering check stops etc everything looks right.

Any Idea what I should be looking at next and how it can be corrected.

This being the first time I have taken this vehicle for an MOT can anyone point me in the right direction for things to look out for other than the general 'car' items.

THANKS

Reply to
David Garton

For whatever reason the lock stop isn't. Unless there's any obvious damage, or track rod end has been changed and not set correctly, or similar, it'll need adjuasting.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

David,

This is definitley your lock stops, get a Haynes manual from Halfords or Amazon. Lock stops should be adjusted if you fit bigger wheels than standard - i.e. 205x16 to 750x16 else the tyre scraps the radius arm on full lock. Suggest you lift wach wheel in the air and grab top and bottom - any movement or clunking is an imediate and quick MOT failure.

Peter

Reply to
kentlandroverclub

On or around 4 Oct 2006 09:10:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com enlightened us thusly:

Note that the RHS lock stop is the one to stop the LHS wheel hitting the radius arm, and vice versa.

Make sure the tracking's right first.

Reply to
Austin Shackles