QT Front Diff Guard - Disco II

Has anybody successfully fitted one of these? The reason I ask is, I tried, and it didn't.

QrizB and I spent some time looking at it from all different angles (welder primed and ready to go) but it just wasn't happening. Slightly disappointing after the rear one was so easy.

When the diff guard was bolted on at the back, it collided with the steering bar. And at the front, the lugs to be welded on to the diff would have had to go back-to-front as there wasn't nearly enough clearance for them the way they're supposed to go.

We debated elongating the holes at the rear to allow the whole guard to slide back a few mm, but then the front brackets would need to be ground down so as not to foul the diff, and the holes would have needed to be redrilled, and in the end we realised there would be so much butchery required, it still wouldn't have fitted very well and each modification would have led to more problems.

The instructions describe it as a A1055K, which QT assured me was right for a Disco II, but they also talk about removing the steering damper on a Discovery which is a bit odd as it's nowhere near the guard. I'm baffled.

I'll call QT tomorrow, but meanwhile, if anybody's done it, I'd be interested to know how, as the one I have is definitely about 2cm too short to go on.

Thanks, David

Reply to
David French

dumb question - they have sent you the right part havent they?

Si

Reply to
simonk

I rang them to check when it arrived, and they said yes, but I'm not convinced. Either that or the one they've sent me has been wrongly manufactured, or LR did something odd with the axle geometry somewhere between the one QT modelled it on and the one I have.

Reply to
David French

Spoke to the chap at QT and he was very helpful. He thinks that my diff assembly is at the upper limit of LR's manufacturing tolerances, and the diff guard I have is towards the lower limit of QT's. So although the guard is right, it's sod's law that I have a combination of diff and guard which doesn't line up.

I may be going down to the West Country next weekend, and if so they've offered to fit one for me, including the welding, at no extra cost - CSFTT. If not, I'll post mine back to them and they'll look at making one up at the upper end of the normal tolerance limit, which should then be fittable.

David

Reply to
David French

Twas Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:48:05 +0100 when "David French" put finger to keyboard producing:

QT is very close to me, just thought I'd mention it... I hope they get you sorted out.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Failing that bring it here.... I've a nice large hammer and a grinder that have been idle for far too long ;-)

....but wait..... did you just say Land rover and tolerances in the same sentance?

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Oh yes, Land Rover do build within certain tolerances, and always have done. It's just that these tolerances are a bit bigger than other manufacturers'.

I have it on good authority that 2 blokes used to be employed on the Defender production line to whack the bulkheads around with big hammers, otherwise nothing fitted. I suppose they call it fine tuning.

David

Reply to
David French

Surely they call it hand built!