a bit OT - 4x4 transits

RAF Bomb Disposal had a few of them...... tally-ho indeed! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Wed, 18 May 2005 15:22:40 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

well, if the conversation with the bank is favourable tomorrow, I may be in a position (eventually) to find out.

Unless I go for adding gas to the diesel engine, of course...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 18 May 2005 12:02:54 +0100, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

well, aye, you can do. But most of the time the normal system manages reasonably, on the disco.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Have a word with Car Autogas in Stoke on that subject. 01782 838565

Reply to
hugh

On or around Wed, 18 May 2005 20:56:53 +0100, hugh enlightened us thusly:

I'll keep it in mind. I've yet to see how it performs - might go OK just on diesel...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

And rather quick they were too. Needed special order tyres as there was nothing on the market rated for both the speed and the weight...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I basically can't easily handle above 22C in a car, and unfortunately it's far, far too easy to get a car above that temperature in the south of England. Driving on motorways with the windows open is a decidedly painful experience - I have almost permanant congestion and so my ears don't pressure equalise very quickly.

I really do have a use for AC for at least 6 months of the year. Other than the fact that it was an expensive piece of shit to keep on the roads, I do miss my TD5 disco with the Climate Control. So I've now bought an even more expensive piece of shit to keep on the road.

What was going through my mind when I bought a 2.5 tonne 4L V8 auto? It's a Japanese V8 - it doesn't even have a decent engine note!

P.

Wishing his wife wasn't being so logical at the moment.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

so Paul S. Brown was, like...

Paul - See your GP! I had the same problem. Quick but unpleasant operation and I've had a clear head for the last 10 years. Well, not "clear" as in "good with important decisions" - more "clear" as in "not bunged up all the time".

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Seen my GP. Apparently this is an *astoundingly* common problem in this part of the country, but I guess it can't hurt to get another opinion.

Of course, I'm leaving this part of the country in less than a week, so we'll see if that helps first.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Fri, 20 May 2005 22:18:18 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

Ages ago we lived in the sarf-east, or near enoughº, and had many problems with chronic cattargh. When we moved to Wales, these problems mostly vanished.

I do still get the odd go of it, but nothing like we used to.

º Near Slough, of friendly bombs fame.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

so Austin Shackles was, like...

A Betjeman fan on afl? Spose it figures really, wot with all the nostalgia for bygone technology.

JB's "I am a young executive. No cuffs than mine are cleaner; I have a Slimline brief-case and I use the firm's Cortina"

could be re-written as:

I am a customer service rep. I deal with many queries. I have a army rucksack and I drive a beat-up Series.

Bet no-one can rhyme "Disco".

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Take your pick:

Acapulco, blanco, bronco, calico, Chico, Chirico, cisco, cocoa, Co / CO, coco, disco, Draco, echo / Echo, Falco, fiasco, flamenco, Franco, fresco, gecko, Glasgow, Greco, Gromyko, guanaco, Jericho, junco, KO, loco, mako, medico, Mexico, Monaco, morocco / Morocco, Moscow, Orinoco, Orozco, pachinko, politico, portico, psycho, RICO, rococo, Sacco, stucco, tabasco / Tabasco, taco, telco, tobacco, UNESCO, wacko, Waco, whacko, Yevtushenko, zydeco

Dave Liquorice

Nah, nah, the original rhymed on the last TWO syllables - cleaner/Cortina. None of these does that. The only one I could think of was Frisco, but I'm sure some bright spark will be along in a minute.

Plus, using a hyperdick is cheating ;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

OK, with apologies to JB and based on a true story...

"Death in Leamington"

His owner had been told you should get a sensible car How those words came back to haunt him As he spluttered into Leamington Spa

It died at the start of the roadworks and ultimately needed recovery The ignition system is a complex thing In a gas converted Discovery

And Warren arrived with his toolkit and immediately checked for sparks But the engine would only fast idle So he summoned a supplier with parts

etc

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Finish it off properly and I'll print it out for a certain workshop wall :-)

Reply to
Mother

erm: cisco, fiasco, fresco, tabasco, UNESCO.

Not point in having a dog and wagging the tail yourself. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just another five verses then....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

OK, give you that one..

No, sorry, they don't rhyme with Disco. Say them out loud, they don't.

I have a dog and still manage to wag my own tail, thank you very much. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

OK, how about this? I'll be along for an MoT before long, so I'll expect it to have pride of place!

Apart from actually breaking down about 20 minutes away from Leamington (I was on my way there...) it's all true!

The owner had been told "you should get a sensible car". How those words came back to haunt him As he spluttered into Leamington Spa.

It died at the start of the roadworks and needed prompt recovery The ignition is a complex thing On a gas converted Discovery

And Warren arrived with his toolkit and immediately checked for sparks But the engine would only fast idle So he summoned a supplier with parts

So, tea and headscratching Whilst waiting for spares to arrive Oh! Rough, rumbling revolutions, Half dead and half alive.

Do you know that the plugs are gleaming? Do you know that the coil's "tip top"? From those faded Yorkshire arches Do you hear the RPM drop?

He looked at the perfect readings, At the owners smiling face, As the calm of a Sheffield evening Drifted into the place.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

They do on the last TWO syllables "s" and "kow" but not the last THREE, "i" "s" "kow".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice