a bit OT - 4x4 transits

Sorry, in these words "s" is not a syllable in its own right. It's the final consonant of the previous syllable. UNESCO = "yoo", "nes" and "co" Fiasco = "fee", "ass" and "co"

Bit fruitless, this. Shall we go back to talking about gearboxes?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Why?

"nes" and "ass" are two consonats as they are two diffeerent sounds, "ne" and "s", "ah" and "s". At least thats my understanding...

Yeah OK.

My 2001 Disco II manual is a little reluctant to go from 1st to 2nd when cold. All other changes are fine just 1st to 2nd, is this something to worry about or just "thick cold oil". It's done about

5,000 miles since the last service, when I believe the fuilds where changed. The service interval being 12k on a DII, it's quite a while until it's due for another...

Also the Hi/Lo transfer is a bit stiff, in that if trying to do a rolling Lo to Hi change it's quite hard to get it out of Lo without over shooting N and grauncing as you haven't double de clutched yet... Is a "stiff" transfer box lever a "feature" or just poor lubrication?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Par for the course with the R380 gearbox IME. You could try using MTF instead of ATF - it's allegedly a better oil for the job. When I used it in mine the gearbox seemed slicker, but that might have been wishful thinking (especially given the price of the oil).

The more you use it, the better it is. I've never driven one with a particularly slick action, but my Disco was virtually jammed in high when I bought it. A bit of use freed it off quite a lot.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Basically, cos it ain't! A syllable, technically speaking, consists of a vowel and a consonants or consonant cluster before or after it, making a complete unit of sound. It's all to do with the sound, and not how it looks when written, if that's any help. So "see" is one syllable (CV), as is "oh" (V) as is "art" (VC), as is "cart" (CVC) and "straight" (CVC). The single consonant "s" is not a syllable as it does not contain a vowel. Unless you say it in isolation as "ess", when it is then a syllable in its own right, but you don't say it like that in "fiasco". All languages have their own rules for what constitutes a syllable - the rule above is for English. In advanced linguistics, a syllable is defined as a peak of sound energy when spoken language is measured by oscilloscope or something techy like that. See

if you're interested. That's possibly enough on that topic :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Just when you were getting into a...

... rhythm

(must be the gravitational force of the syzygy)...

Reply to
Mother

so Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Facetious?

Reply to
Mother

so Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

so Richard Brookman was, like...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The motor is under warranty so I won't be doing it the dealer will but I ask what they put in. Mind they probably won't know...

But basically it seems like "thick cold oil", it doesn't take long before the problem goes away.

I gave it a good waggle the other day and it did seem a bit free off a bit, not a great deal. I'll just have keep waggling it and practicing the rolling change. I need it anyway, never having had a non-syncro box to play with before. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sun, 22 May 2005 23:57:18 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

Bear in mind that the transfer box is not designed for rolling changes, as well as being non-synchro.

chances are it's the external linkages. On mine, it works beautifully after having the box out and apart and cleaning and lubing the linkages properly. Shame it's gonne be sold now, really, but I can't afford to keep it. And if I want and can afford a private motor, nice though the disco is, I'll get the 4x4 sierra sorted, as that's a cracking car to drive when on form.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 22 May 2005 21:25:48 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Procedure for Lo to Hi is described as "advanced" in the book...

Useful if towing summat heavy and you need the grunt to get things moving without slipping the clutch. Pretty sure the farmers use the technique just by us at the top of a hill when hauling a fully laden double decker Ifor Williams.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Mon, 23 May 2005 09:50:30 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

I've done it before now, both up and down. to go down you really do have to get it right.

Up ain't so bad.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

FX