Advice - Waterproofing my V8i

Just given the coil and dizzy cap a good soaking with WD40 but am trying to find the place online that sells the rubber boot for the cap and coil. Anyone know who does these please? (It looks like a rubber glove with 9 fingers!!)

Also, is it worth putting the coil in a waterproof box? If so does it need an earth from the fixing lugs?

Reply to
Andy

In message , Andy writes

Err a V8i don't have no dizzy man.

Reply to
hugh

The biggest problem is condensation forming inside the dizzy when cold water hits the outside. A vent pipe from the engine breather via the dizzy body to a vacuum source helps a lot to prevent this.

It does.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Err, this one does!!

Reply to
Andy

There used to be a product that you sprayed on all the leads and cap that was like a varnish and it kept the moisture out (provided there was no moisture in the first place). Can't think of the name.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

What distributes the sparks to the spark plugs? AFAIK the V8i is a petrol engine not a diesel. The fuel may be injected but it still needs a spark to make it go BANG. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Fine until the varnish layer cracks and starts to trap moisture and/or muck making nice paths for tracking... Keeping the thing clean and possibly coated with a water repellant(*) is more reliable in the long term.

If condensation inside the cap is a problem then that strikes me a design problem in letting wet in in the first place.

(*) Something like a thin smear of silicone based polish.

Probably just as well. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Doesn't it have a pack of coils, one per plug, so no need of a distributor.

Reply to
GbH

Holts (?) Easy start ,

It isn't the ether type of spray before any one comments

Don't know how it got the name

I have a tin in the shed

Probably no puff in it now its donkeys years old

Now to sort my Disco out lost power , started rattling and lost oil on the M62 near Huddersfield this after noon

No visible lights showing any problems

Green flag Turned up in less than an hour

Just had the 160K service done as well

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

In message , Andy writes

Then it ain't a V8i which is the nomenclature for the 4.0 litre engine in the Defender 50th Anniversary and has electronic ignition and coil packs.

Reply to
hugh

Silicone grease in all the connections works well, as does a thin smear of it around where the cap mates to the distributor body.

Reply to
EMB

What I remember of it was that you took the whole lot off the vehicle and hung it up and then sprayed it all being careful to avoid the connections, it lasted ages, years even, and didn't crack. Just gradually wore away/disintegrated. Probably 40 years ago or so. The electric connections you smeared with Vaseline, and I still do.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

But my sig in the original post says D1, it's a 3.9 V8 with injection hence the V8i

:-)

Reply to
Andy

Early fuel injected V8 rover engines (3.5 and 3.9, including "interim serpentine" used to end of D1) all have a distributor to distribute the sparks to the correct plugs at hopefully the correct time. Later engines using Gems or Motronic (Thor) engine management systems have no distributor. Instead, they have a bank of coil packs at the rear of the engine, computer controlled.

Note:- An engine management system generally refers to total control of the engine, both fuel and spark, whereas a fuel injection system is simply that, it controls fuel but not spark. management systems were deemed necessary for modern emissions and torque-management for traction control etc etc.

The original poster is correct in his designation of "V8i", as it is a fuel-injected V8. Simples.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I hope whoever did the service tightened the sump plug up correctly........ for their sake! If they didn't, then do I detect a new engine at their expense?

Reply to
Badger

Didn't loose all the oil

None of the warning lights came on

I might get a new engine CHEAPER

But I doubt if I'd get a new engine for nowt

When he fitted a new water pump , timing belt and Pulley in Jan 2008 I got change out of £60.00

The water pump failed in June 2009 and the pump and the belt there was little change out of £200.00

That was a different garage north of the border

I didn't use Nige's words but he was left knowing what I thought of them in no uncertain terms

Just waiting for the truck to arrive to take it down to the workshop

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

"Badger" wrote.........

And if you've got no spark, you ain't got any fuel :-)

Absolutely correct.

Reply to
Oily

In message , Andy writes

No it's not - at least not in the Land Rover world It's a fuel injected V8. Go along to a Land Rover dealer and ask for a part for a V8i and see which parts book he gets out.

The term never existed when carb V8s were still around and only appeared with the 4.0 litre. To use it now to apply to all fuel injected V8s is just dumbing it down.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Oily writes

Wrong -see my other post.

Reply to
hugh

What about the V8i Disco 1 (as opposed to the early V8 Disco 1) that had 3.5 injected V8 with a distributor? I know these existed as I had one!

Reply to
Patrick Manuel