Advice - Waterproofing my V8i

Mark Solesbury

Fixed the winch? Any ideas what it is?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I would imagine its got something to do with the over bonnet high water i was driving though before it stopped.

Ill strip it tonight but expect lots of water / mud to be on the motor commutator.

Once thats cleaned up, I expect it will start going again.

Have to do a better silicone job on the joints this time!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

My 1997 Discovery is a V8i - it even has it on ALL the decals. It's an injected 3.9 V8 with a dizzy. The D1 NEVER had coil packs.

I can't believe your saying they never existed?!

Reply to
Neil

I agree with Neil and stand by what I said .

My Disco says V8i on the back so it's a V8i..................end of story.

Reply to
Andy

"hugh" wrote..............

One word for you.........Bollocks

Reply to
Oily

Interesting, our 90 injected 3.5 V8 says Tdi on the wings. I do seem to recall the 2 1/4 petrol it used to have was a tad short on grunt, but it didn't have eyewatering consumption!! Think we're going to have to replace the Tdi wings soon on account of the remodelling we seem to do each time out!

Reply to
GbH

s'funny cos Land Rover put a nice big sticker on the back of my D1 that clearly says "V8i" ~ as does the workshop manual, parts book and owners handbook. In fact, in the workshop manual the 4.0 litre is consistently referred to as "V8" - so how's that for dumbing down? Oh, and just to burst your bubble a bit more, your 4ltr isn't 4ltrs. It's the same

3950cc as my 3.9V8i - it was called the 4.0 to differentiate it from the 3.9 when they introduced the GEMS ignition system.

Of course the term didn't exist when carb engines were in use - cos they ain't injected. The first V8i was a 3.5 used in the Classic Range Rover. Before you start spouting off about the history of Land Rover engines and their official designations (i.e as applied by LR themselves) you need to read a bit more.

Reply to
SteveG

This thread takes me back a few AFL years!

Just to be clear... are we saying we are Pro or Anti fox hunting?

;o)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Indeed.. Bollocks are a totally different kind of injection system. I've often suspected Landrover fitted them to V8's but never actually found any when pulling the engines apart. I was sure that my 101, RRC and Disco all had bollocks but they definately didn't have a badge on them which goes to show... everything is not always as it seems, just because you can't always find them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Am I helping?

P.S. Thankfully I can always find mine!

:0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Lee_D" wrote..............

LOL. Now why do I always have to read something like with a brew in my hand? The keyboard's not bollocksed but it's a bit sticky now as I take sugar.

Reply to
Oily

Pro, but only for V8i foxen.

Reply to
EMB

The brew won't do much harm but that sugar will after time. Strip the keyboard as much as you can and wash it in plenty of fresh flowing water, dry of the bits then leave to dry properly somewhere warm (above boiler, in airing cupboard) for 24 hrs, reassemble. Don't worry about getting any circuit board wet, it'll survive a brief dunk and good drying.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Pro, with flamethrowers.

Reply to
Nige

Sorry, I had an "attack of the Nige's" matey, lol. Some people just don't deserve to share the same planet as normal folks!

Reply to
Badger

Mingesealer?

Reply to
Nige

Oh very definitely PRO .... Tally Ho!

Reply to
SteveG

Well, the land owners like that sort of thing so you can be sure it'll come back if the Tories get in!

Sadly the land owners don't like off-roaders so you can be sure the NERC act, a Tory bill, will get strengthened and not weakened :-(

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Is that fence chaffing old boy?

;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Eh?

Unfortunately we've got the situation where one government, which has been passively hostile to off-roaders, is about to be replaced by one that's actively hostile to off-roaders, and has the "cost savings" excuse for just about everything, so expect even less of an ear for us when it comes to byway closures in the future.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings