Air con 101

On or around Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:42:22 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

that is, of course, where the whole feedback thing falls down. The sort of arse who sells dodgy goods won't care about his own reputation and won't think twice about retaliating, which spoils your record. These days I'm very fussy about who I deal with on eBay.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No, leave him a positive and then call his local Trading Standards....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

In Eire?

Reply to
Mother

They get really pissed when you call it Eire...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:22:57 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

what do they think it's called then?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well, can't hurt I guess, ta.

Who do? Most of the new members I get from there put Eire on the application, so I dunno. Mind, I'm never very good at keeping up with the new terms. None of my West Indian friends would give room to any other term...

Reply to
Mother

Ireland!

Reply to
GbH

Only the ones that don't realise that =C9ire is the official name of the country.

Reply to
jasongrehan

On or around 1 Jul 2006 05:54:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com enlightened us thusly:

that's what I thought...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You speaka da Irish?

The English for the Irish word/name Éire is Ireland.

Reply to
GbH

I don't know for sure (because it's the one place where I steer very clear of politics!) but I believe it is seen as meaning "the bit the Brits didn't nick off us'. There seems to be a desire to be Irish (regardless of 'Northern' or 'Republic of' prefixes), which Eire / Ulster doesn't sit well with.

Recently I've done lots of work in Enniskillen, Belfast, Co Mayo, Dublin and Co Cork and would be happy to emigrate to any of them... That said, most of the workforce seems to actually be Polish.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

True, but no Irish person should feel offended at anyone's use of the word =C9ire. According to the Constitution, the name of the country is =C9ire, or in the English language, Ireland. So either is completely acceptable. =C9ire appears on all of the coins, stamps, Acts of Parliament, Presidential Seal, you name it.

Reply to
jasongrehan

On or around Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:34:01 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

yer need a big salary in NI to pay for the insurance though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles