Alternator Conundrum

Some time ago my alternator packed up on my 110 3.5 V8 and all I could get in a hurry was a 2nd hand one off a 3.5 V8 Disco. The only problem was that it was the wrong hand and had stud connection rather than spade - no problem, swivel the end plates and put ring crimps on.

The problem is that it has packed up again and I have bought a recon alternator for a 110 V8 only to find that the shaft is different. The one off the disco is smaller and has a Woodruff key, so neither the fan or the pulley will fit. My question is whether the standard 110 V8 is like the Disco one (i.e. has a smaller shaft and a key) so that I have to take the alternator back, or whether I just need to go and get a new 110 V8 fan and pulley to fit on the new alternator?

Reply to
Bob Miller

On or around Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:08:00 -0000, "Bob Miller" enlightened us thusly:

depends which model alternator.

The later ones are larger shaft and no key - A127-80, A133-100 and suchlike numbers. Earlier ones have the key as you describe.

do you still have the original one that packed up?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You know how it is - this tatty old alternator's been hanging around for ages, cluttering the place up, so just before Christmas I have a sort out! However I asked if they had an earlier type in the motor factors and explained, and hey presto, a box full of fans and pulleys from the exchange ones that come back - FoC as well! Thanks for the info Austin, it told me what to ask for.

Reply to
Bob Miller