Alternator "W" output

Finally got a working alternator (at the third attempt!) Who'd believe I'd have two duff alternators!

Now, this alternator has a "W" output (which I know is for the tacho drive), but I don't have a tacho on my 1990 Defender 200TDi.

So does the alternator have to drive a LR instrument or can it drive any "aftermarket" tacho?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Any tacho that takes its siganl from the 'W' terminal should work but you'll need one that takes account of the alternator drive ratio (pulley sizes).

The 'W' terminal is not a Land Rover feature it 'belongs' to the alternator manufacturer who sells his alternator into a multitude of applications. Any customisation for drive ratio will be in the instrument. Are adjustable aftermarket ones available?

Reply to
Dougal

The 'W' output is only a connection to the AC alternator output before it goes through the bridge rectifier to make DC

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

As stated, the alternator will drive any 'W' fed rev counter. The rev counter can be easily calibrated using the adjuster screw on the back using a strobe or other test type tacho to check the true revs.

Reply to
Peter