Annoying clunking/knocking noise update!

The front radius arm to axle bolts were not very tight at all!!! (Thanks to whoever suggested that!) Could move them easily with a regular spanner! Have to use large torque wrench to tighten them. I only polybushed the vehicle a couple of months ago and they are loose already!! I replaced all the nuts and bolts with new ones at the time. I will replace them again. Still gonna put new front shocks on today anyway.

Cheers, Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Stew Hi,

Maybe fitting self locking nuts would help.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

190Nm is what you should have.
Reply to
Niamh Holding

They were tightened to the specified torque using Nyloc nuts. Thats why I can't understand how they got loose.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

On or around Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:09:15 +0100, "90ninety" enlightened us thusly:

the workings of land rovers.

Did you retighten 'em after installation once it had been bounced around a bit?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This is a popular misconception. Nyloc nuts have nothing to do with keeping a bolted joint tight - all that they do is stop the nut falling off the bolt once the joint has failed.

In a normal bolted joint the bolt is stretched and keeps all the components tightly clamped together by virtue of its elasticity (provided, of course, that the joint has been correctly designed in the first place).

Among several things that could have happened in your case are that the joint was compromised from the start by having paint/rust on the joint faces, joint faces that were not flat, holes were worn so that the already small contact areas were even smaller, lower than desirable specification for the steel material for the nuts/bolts etc., etc..

In the longer term you may find yourself having to reclaim the holes in the axle brackets so that the bush inner sleeves seat fully on one side and the nuts/bolt heads seat fully on the other. It also helps if the holes are not excessively large in relation to the bolt diameter.

Reply to
Dougal

snip

It's a land rover tha ran out of warranty some years ago, so naturally all of the above are definitely factors!!! ;-)

Reply to
90ninety

Stew Hi,

AFAIK suspension and bushes nuts and bolts have to be re-tightened after a while and especially after the bushes have been installed.

Actually during the camel trophy events it was always recommended that the crews should tighten as many of the suspension and bushes bolts as possible at the end of each day.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos