Another battery question

Try a little experiment Bob turn on the headlights and get a mate to turn the engine over if the lights do not go extremely dim then there is an earth strap/lead issue. The only certain way to check a battery is with a stress test owt that just lights up is not loading the battery your local garage will have the kit to do it Derek.

Reply to
Derek

On or around Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:23:36 +0000, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

ISTR 13.8V is float charge level for 6 lead acids in series. some alternators were as high as 15V, but 14.5V is normal these days, presumably leads to less overcharging of the batteries.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:28:40 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

check voltage when cranking, that's a good indication. It shouldn't drop below about 8. if it goes down below 6, it's suspect.

starter can cause intermittent faults, yes.

battery? type 643 or 644 (whichever has the right terminal positions) is the one to go for, get it from a commercial supplier or agricultural merchant or such.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's worth remembering, that as recently as the last 5 years, lead acid battery technology has changed to allow much higher charge voltage and charging rates without using excessive water. Your information is almost certainly well out of date.

The change was largely caused by the demands of the multidrop delivery lorries and their tail lifts, with standard charge voltage from (say) a Lucas 17ACR coupled to a conventional technology lead acid would result in discharged cells at the end of the day.

Here's a pretty good site, and a link. Much of it is not directly related to our world, but it is very good reading for those who have extra heavy duty winches etc to power:

(also click on technical) Julian.

Reply to
Julian

After charging it overnight the multimeter showed 14.37v on charge and

13.80v off charge so I took it to a battery shop and they tested it under load. "Worn out" was the result. New battery purchased and she now starts instantly, I also purchased a solar panel** to keep it charged when she is laid up. **Wife's relative powers his beer fridge with one whilst he's out Gold Prospecting!
Reply to
Bob Hobden

Bloody good idea that solar cell should keep it nicely topped up I have one and I'd do same but that alarm I fitted is a bit sensative I reckon the cat passing in front of it would do enough to set it off . Those stress testers are the biz my dad had one of the very old type at the garage bugger would glow red hot on a good battery probably health and stupidity ahve banned that sort by now still leaves no doubt whether the battery is iffybutty or not Derek

Reply to
Derek