Another Person Registering a 4x4 at your Address

There are clauses that require reasonable precautions to keep the data secure and this does have an impact on companies, some of them specifically ask me if certain issues I find breach the act.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yes I agree. But when the row blew up over the lost CDs the minister stood up in the house and glibly commented that they were OK under the DP act because they had "reasonable" procedures in place. (I sometimes watch proceedings on TV - how sad is that?)

Also the issue of the lost CDs show how government departments pass our personal data around and even send it abroad, where it gets lost.

How many people knew that? But you don't have a choice - you have to supply your details under those conditions.

The DP Act has never been strong on security but it is being undermined by the government.

Reply to
hugh

The DPA is pretty robust, as it covers a large range of requirements regarding how data is gathered and handled, and the penalties are severe (£5k for an individual and unlimited fines for a company IIRC). Crucially, the DPA does not apply to the Govt and its agencies. Working in the private sector, I take the DPA very seriously. Clearly, the ethos in Govt agencies is rather different.

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:36:03 +0000 (GMT), snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.org.uk ("David G. Bell") enlightened us thusly:

if the bloke is the owner of the pub and the motor's been there a fortnight, he can probably either get the info himself or via the dibbles.

as to how the thing's registered at his address without being known about, I don't know. Perhaps the perp is intercepting our hero's mail?

Reply to
Austin Shackles