Anti 4x4

I live in Perth in Western Australia and "road trains" are kept out of the city. Truck routes are a constant subject of public complaint/debate. Trucks and buses here do carry warnings as I mentioned. Everyone knows they are a hazard. So do you, why do you say no one acknowledges it? The higher class of license requirement acknowledges the extra danger. Most drivers have never run over anyone and I can't see how a feeling of invulnerability would lead one to run over a pedestrian. You are right about one thing - very many traffic problems stem from poor attitudes and inattention rather than from "driver training" or the type of vehicle, but this thread is about the relative safety of certain vehicles in particular situations. Around schools that often means when they are not even being driven. If we were talking about driving around the bush, the arguments would be reversed.

Reply to
jg

Potentially 48 children of course depending on X, Y, Z etc.. However this is the kind of thing that makes this kind of conversation largely pointless, the plusses and minusses are so dependent on individual circumstances as to render hand-waving discussions irrelevant as no overall plusses or minusses are really justifiable. As an example, a generic stereotyped 4x4 might be more likely to kill a child outside a school, but on the way home the children inside will be safer than in a normal car, so on the kids killed front, which comes out better depends on whether there's an accident outside the school or on the way home. So what's the point in blethering on about it?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Come on, road trains are a whole different issue (and unique to Oz). Trucks and buses in Europe rarely carry warnings. Yes, higher class licenses acknowledge higher risk, but people are people. Drivers of bigger vehicle are usually more cavalier. Use google to look up "risk compensation" - the safer people feel in their vehicle, the more dangerously they behave until they reach their own "danger threshold". It's a recognised phenomenon, and one which seriously damages more vulnerable road users.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

You seem to be saying bigger vehicles ought to be restricted (or not?) because of the way people drive them? That's a separate issue from the vehicle itself in situations even where it doesn't matter who is driving. I agree driver attitudes are the biggest problem.

Reply to
jg

Hi Group

I live close to a school and see the problem every day except Sat & Sun. What happened to parents being responsible for their children? You see two (or more) women stop for a chat while their children run all over the place including people's gardens. I am also puzzled about 4x4s causing greater injuries because of their shape. I would have thought that the very low front of cars -wedge shaped would propel the person up in the air or hit the windscreen. The rear visibility is no worse than some cars - the seat leon cupra for one. The phrase 4x4 is much misused many women think a 4x4 is any big people carrier. I even had a stupid LibDem woman trying to recruit me but she put me right off going on about 4x4s, when I pointed out my neighbours Toyota 4x4 performance saloon she would not accept that it was a

4x4. They won't get my vote Robbie
Reply to
Roberts

SG: That's a radical sideways leap in extrapolation from what I wrote :-)

Or are drivers of smaller

SG: Of course they are, but in crowded city streets there are inevitably times when vehicles become bunched together (e.g. at pedestrian crossings, traffic lights and when oncoming traffic forces you to move into and out of gaps between parked cars on your side of the road). It is in these situations where the driver following a larger vehicle has reduced visibility and it just happens to coincide with situations where pedestrians are likely to chance their luck dodging between the cars.

Reply to
SteveG

SG: As an advanced driving skills trainer I tell my "pupils" that they should be able to see the bottom of the rear tyres of the car in front plus a bit of tarmac when we pull up behind another vehicle. Probably not a metre but enough room to allow us to negotiate past the vehicle in the event it stalls or breaks down.

Maintaining a 2 second gap in free flowing city traffic is okay but in start-stop situations it extends the length of traffic flows and can be the cause of frustration for other drivers - leading them to make inappropriate decisions and maybe endangering lives.

SG: Whilst I'd like to support that claim I can't. I've seen plenty of Land Rovers being driven badly as any other make. The vehicle you drive doesn't make you a better or worse driver - it's the way you were taught and your mindset that does that.

SG: Now here we have some common ground but rather than re-passing the same old low-level L-test every five years why not make passing an advanced driving test compulsory for all new drivers within 5 years of passing the L-test? Drivers who take an advanced driving course and pass the test seldom go back to their old bad habits afterwards.

Reply to
SteveG

A quote from "Roadcraft" - the police driving bible:

"Most drivers think they are both safer and more skilful than the average driver - but we cannot all be right. In more than 90% of traffic accidents, human error is the cause; accidents do not just happen by chance, they are the consequence of unsafe driving practices. Driving safely cannot be thought of as an add-on extra; it has to be built into the way you drive"

Reply to
SteveG

Yes, because if it's only the school bus plus a handful of cars on the school run the visibility, congestion and frustration elements of the situation are removed. Let's face it, in cities most children live within walking distance of their school so local authorities would only require a small number of buses.

Reply to
SteveG

Okay, I drive a "generic stereotyped" 4x4 - aka Discovery 1. Where is your evidence that children travelling inside it are safer than in a generic stereotypical euro-box - like a Mondeo or Laguna? A large proportion of Land Rover drivers drive older vehicles (it's part of their attraction) and these older vehicles weren't subject to compulsory safety testing and didn't have to meet safety standards as they are classed as dual purpose vehicles.

Reply to
SteveG

SG: Then you must drive with blinkers

SG: I was actually agreeing with you. Perhaps your blinkers prevented you from looking above your navel and appreciating that

Reply to
SteveG

It's not much of a leap, after all if small cars can't see past larger cars and can't see over parked small cars so well then they're more dangerous when moving forwards, even if they are less dangerous when moving backwards... Somewhat over-simplistic arguments, but then they all are in this particular subject area.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Oh my, you mean there's more to this thing than just big vehicle versus small vehicle? oooh I'm so confused ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Stuart Gray wrote: snip

snip

The OP of the thread was about 4x4 bashing and this is, after all, a Land Rover newsgroup

Reply to
SteveG

Well, there's the link posted in here a few times now from the insurance industry that listed the safest vehicle to be in in an accident, topped by the Defender. I don't remember if the Discovery was one of the vehicles they reported on or not but there's not a huge difference between them construction-wise.

Also heavier vehicles to tend to come out of accidents better than lighter ones, for fairly obvious reasons, there's been a fair few past articles on such things if you care to do a bit of googling.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In article , SteveG writes

The road outside is a "B" road and it's collapsing ten feet from my window because of 44 tonne lorries using it. They are literally pulverising the concrete sub-surface into gravel. They shake the house and are almost certainly causing damage. Some of these are tipper lorries going to and leaving waste depots miles away, and some are retail trunkers.

So Mondeos probably aren't a significant factor, but IMHO road "transport" operations should bear a higher direct tax related to their environmental cost. It might change the way things are sold and distributed, but as the country's overpopulated by about 50% now, I can't see any government taking this one on, and it'll probably only get much worse.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I am saying exactly that. For the most part, the size and type of vehicle is irrelevant - a good driver will drive any size vehicle well, a bad driver could fail to spot someone no matter what.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Smaller vehicles and more frequent collections, that's the way it used to be.

Anyway it is not just the refuse trucks, but these days every local store seems to have an artic delivering to them instead of a van.

Ok larger vehicles are in the long run more economical on fuel, but surely local deliveries are a case in point for electric vehicles. Mind you the co-op used to maintain one (not seen it for a while), and that was as slow as a milk float.

Reply to
Larry

They are too big for suburban roads which were never designed for them. The fact that buses have gradually increased in width from when I was a lad has something to do with it to.

You can't blame 4wd's for being oversized, everything else is getting bigger too (well smart cars and super minis excepted)

Reply to
Larry

Yes and I would never consider a series a suitable vehicle for the school run, for one reason alone the lack of seatbelts.

Then again I do remember from my junior school days one girl who was regularly dropped off in a landie. Her dad was a farmer.

Reply to
Larry