Basic timing info for V8s

Anyone got the timing info for a 9.75:1 vitesse engine and/or a standard

3.9? The basic advance info that Haynes give would be useful - idle, 1000,1800,4800rpm or whatever is to hand.

I'm looking for both as I've got a 3.9 cam and a vitesse block but I don't think I'm getting anywhere near a good advance curve for the combination.

Reply to
AndyG

On or around Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:08:38 +0100, AndyG enlightened us thusly:

summat around 6° BTDC ought to be close, I'd think. Start with that, run it uphill at medium revs with yer toe down, see if it pinks. if not, advance it a tad more.

this assumes you're not running on LPG, on LPG you can run more advance.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

More technical than that. Setting idle timing is ok if you've got the correct distributor since the advance characteristics will be ok for the engine throughout the rev range. To say the least, I haven't so I'm trying to see how mine matches with the theory then adjust ... the 3.9 cam timing should give a starting point (6 degrees give or take 10!) then the advance curve of the SD1 should tell me what I *should* need (ish) from the dizzy.

When I do something it's never simple!

Reply to
AndyG

On or around Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:31:43 +0100, AndyG enlightened us thusly:

HBOL doesn't give advance figures. I can have a look in the RAVE thing, if you like. But I suspect that some of the regulars here have already been down this road and may know the answers.

Mine's running a later electronic ignition distributor on a P5B engine, with, IIRC, suitable advance springs for LPG and Overall, the engine works well enough but not too good on low-end torque - adjusting the kickdown cable to max sensitivity makes it better as you can kick it down into a lower gear, and sometimes manually shifting it down to get the revs up helps too.

similar characteristics from the open loop system on my V6 sierra though, i.e. less torque at low revs than the petrol injection gives, so it might be a characteristic of the gas, rather than the engine. No petrol on the LR, so can't compare it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

either 6degs before TDC, TDC , or 6 degs after TDC depending on type of distributor and whether it has a vacuum retard or not . .

Reply to
M0bcg