Bermabright?

Hi all, do and have all the Land Rovers ( series and 90's / 110's etc ) had their bodywork made of the alloy or is it just ally these days. Can you buy sheets of Bermabright from sheet metal stockists

Rich

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

Probably not as "Birmabright" (tm), but isn't it just an aluminium-magnesium alloy ? That makes it a 5000 series alloy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

So if Birmabright is a trade mark, what is the correct type of material that Land Rover still use?

Rich

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

I think AL 5059 is pretty close, if not identical, but I am not a metallurgist. Technically, Birmabright is Cu. 1.0 Mn. 1.5 Mg. 1.0 to 6.0 Si. 0.7 Ni. .5 Cr. 0.5 - try matweb for its composition database. Its definitely a "5000" series alloy (the ones containing Mg)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Whatever it's called, the ali used by LR is no longer anything like Birmabright, sadly. The currrent (post 110 introduction) alloy is nothing like as robust, you dent a Defender wing by leaning on it, never mind standing on it.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Is it just thinner, or have they changed alloy since they are deep forming it more ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

A mates got a 54 plate 90, the alloy is half as thick as my 1984 110 i reckon. If not, it bloody feels it!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson) WTB a clean RRC pref 3.9 or LSE 4.2

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige