blooming relay problem

Hello all. Is this a awkward relay or designed that way. My rear window heater sometime work then doesn't. Is this worth replacing. Can you replace the rear window heater element.

Reply to
John Oakes

John, the relay itself is probably one of the most reliable bits! I'm assuming you're talking about your 90? That being the case, check the earth to the body at the rear window connections, corrosion there is the most likely case. The heated rear glass itself can be replaced (try paddock's etc) but unusual for all elements to fail together - you'd usually see a few elements not clearing as they fail/get broken. Most likely a bad earth or dirty connection, stick a test meter across the terminals and switch it on, if no volts, move the earth test lead to a good earth and try again. If still no volts, then problem is in feed side somewhere. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

It's unlikely that the window element is the problem, however replacements are available from "normal" motor factors (not that they look very nice). I'd suggest you have a wiring problem, and its quite likely that the cable has broken internally in the loop between the body and the door - this is not exactly unknown. Running some temporary wires should help track the problem down.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:56:22 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

and the classic one - the wires in the bendy thing between the body and the door are broken internally. Had loads of fun trying to trace faults in the

110 back door once.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
John Oakes

In article , beamendsltd writes

Is the light coming on on the dash?

If not there is a voltage sensitive relay that prevents the heated rear window coming on when battery voltage is low. This can point to the beginning of alternator / battery failure or the unit itself.

Reply to
marc

Hello Marc. The light seem to work occasionally and not work at all. Funny enough my alternator has been recently squealing. Still starts okay. How would I tell if the relay voltage sensitive.

Reply to
John Oakes