Blowing Indicator Fuses

Hi All

As per the title, my 96 300Tdi Disco is blowing indicator fuses at quite a rate of knots. So Far I have just been replacing them, as I don't like being the pillock who stops and turns without indicating.

I tried to take it to a Auto Elec yesterday and he said that he was unnable to replicate the fault, however the indiactors were not working when I collected the vehicle? I suspect that he just couldn't be botherd to try and trace it.

Anyway, with the fault still present and yours truly obviously going to have to solve it, any ideas?

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

I doubt yr sparks has driven the car which makes me think of the type of short circuits that can be generated on the move chafed wires dodgy bulb holders and similar, the rear light clusters have exposed tracks made from melted down rusty battleships instead of the preferable and 5p dearer copper worth a look in case something is shorting across? Derek

Reply to
Derek

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yup... pull all the indicator bulbs and give them a once over with suitable cleaning doofer.

In fact do all the bulbs on that earth circuit (cluster) incase it's an earthing issue. If there is an earth tag to be seen / accessed clean that up as well.

Check if you have a towbar that a friendly spider with magnesium boots on hasn't taken up residence in the socket... always good for a giggle that one.

Failing that bin the fuses and fit a trip switch ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Many thanks for the replys. The rutsy battle ships certainly sounds familiar as I remember when I stripped and painted my SerIII finding unpainted pig-iron all over the place, usually sitting next to some other ferrous metals in an advanced state of corrosion.

Not sure if this was only the case with the SOuth African Assembled LR's or all of them.

I will hopefully have time to extract the Fluke and poke around this weekend. Hopefully the Haynes will provide some illumination as to how to access the rear light cluster, as I can see interior panels getting cracked/broken in the process.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie