Cannot Move to Low Range

Hi All

I have just got my first Defender 90 I am going to have to sell my old rangie now :-( Anyway when I try and move the leaver into low range it does not move. It will move to the right to lock the diff but not up. The handbook says something about not using to much pressure but I don't know how much I should use. It is a T Reg and I guess it has never been into Low (knowing the owner).

Could anyone give me any advice?

Also does anyone know of a online site that sells the speaker enclosures to put over the real light box for a 90?

Thanks Phil

Reply to
Phil Clarke

Nothing specific, but common causes of such problems are corrosion causing joints in the linkage to bind, and hard-dried mud. The Series transfer box has a couple of places where dried mud can be really awkward.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Had same prob with my 90. Spray lots of WD-40 or similar round the linkages (external to box), moving the level to work the oil in. Also, take the rubber boot off and put some oil on the small ball joint at the bottom of the transfer box lever. On mine (LT85 box) the lever moves to the left to engage diff lock

Tom

Reply to
Tom Gilmour

The Hi/Lo lever on my 110 was quite stiff when I first got it. After using it a bit it freed up, or so I thought!! While on a lane I was unable to engage low box and the lever went all slack. This was because part of the linkage had broken due to work hardening, probably because the AA had hardly ever used low so the linkage was part seized.

If you remove the cubby/centre seat you can get at the linkage. You can then try freeing it up with some oil to help.

Reply to
Simon Barr