Carrying engine in back?

Hi all, I own a 110 and may shortly need to travel 3 hours to go pick up an engine for possible future swap into the 110. The engine weighs around 600-700 pounds. I don't presently have a hitch installed on my

110 so can't presently pull a trailer, so was wondering if it would be possible to haul it in the back. I'd put some plywood on the floor to protect it, and obviously the engine has to be able to fit through the door and be lifted in (and out of) there, but is there any reason you can think why this shouldn't be done? It's a diesel engine. Alternatively, I can install hitch and wiring and rent a trailer for the job. Thanks.
Reply to
Robert St-Louis

I and the buyer rolled Percys old 2 1/4 petrol engine into the rear of a 110 up some scaffolding boards.

NEVER AGAIN.

I also recently travelled 120 miles to collect an Engine, V8 on this occasion and after much mauling in the absence of a lift gave up and came home.

Make sure you have a lift, plenty of wood to chock it with and rope to tie it down. If you have no tie downs then fit some. If you consider risking it then imagine how much fun it will be if you roll the 110 with a loose engine swinging around. Granted you can only do so much.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around 6 Apr 2005 10:07:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ec.gc.ca (Robert St-Louis) enlightened us thusly:

it's within the weight capacity for the motor, I reckon. Don't put it right at the back, you might make the front end light, and put some decently thick plywood on the floor to avoid silly point loads.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

that's almost 320 kilos, maximum permitted laden weight 3050kg max permitted load rate rear axle 1850kg

I can't lay my hands on the unladen weight right now though

I suspect it's within the weight though so no problem, try and get it central between the axles and tie the bugger down.

A guy near me has a 1000 litre water tank on the back of his double-cab 110 so that's 1000 kg over the rear axle.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

We had a 3ton motor in the back of the 110 truck cab at work. Made the steering light! lol I would have thought what you want to carry is well within the limits.

Reply to
Richard

That's what Land Rovers were designed to do in the first place :)

Dropping the engine onto an old tire, so the sump is where the wheel itself was, will stabilise it a lot, plus a few old tires around it to stop it moving too much will help - in addition to properly tieing it down.

We've carried lots in the old S11A that way, hauling donks out of bush location. An engine crane helps too ;)

110 so can't presently pull a trailer, so was wondering if it would be possible to haul it in the back. I'd put some plywood on the floor to protect it, and obviously the engine has to be able to fit through the door and be lifted in (and out of) there, but is there any reason you can think why this shouldn't be done? It's a diesel engine. Alternatively, I can install hitch and wiring and rent a trailer for the job. Thanks.

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

In message , Robert St-Louis writes

Carried a 2.5 NA diesel in the back of my 90 once. No problem but had an engine hoist at the other end to help get it out.

Also transported a V8 but it was on a pallet so was easily lifted in and out with a fork lift.

Reply to
hugh

Thanks a lot everyone. Sounds like it's something that is doable as long as one can get it in and out fairly readily (without damaging the door etc.), position it over the axle, protect the floor, and secure it well (indeed, the thought of rolling the truck with a 350kg engine bouncing around back there is somewhat frightful!). Ideally, clean it and drain it well so it doesn't mess up the back of the truck! I like the idea of dropping it onto an old tire (or on a pallet). Cheers, all!

Reply to
RSTL99

On or around 6 Apr 2005 13:38:50 -0700, "RSTL99" enlightened us thusly:

get the centre of mass slightly in front of the rear axle if you can.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Robert St-Louis at snipped-for-privacy@ec.gc.ca wrote on 6/4/05 5:07 pm:

Piece of piss. I have put a 2 1/4 diesel in the back of a 2 1/4 petrol SWB series 2 and momed it no prob, Had to back the Landy upto the suspended engine as we couldn't move the crane! Still hit 80 comming home!

Reply to
Rory Manton

with that weight in the back you could hit 100 on a downhill stretch, just dip the clutch :o)

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Personally I'd whack it up against the bulkhead, it won't come hurtling forward if you throw out the anchors that way. It's not so heavy that it'll cause the front any problem.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Nothing to do with Land Rovers but I once took a Lambretta engine home on the footplate of my scooter, and I even took one on the bus once. (the engine not the scooter)

Reply to
Larry

and I had a mini gearbox tied to the back of my honda h100 to take it for reconditioning

Reply to
George Spigot

My Mum in her younger days took a Diff from a Zeyphr to a garage in the boot of her Mini.

"Can you check the Diff in the back of my car please?".

"Sorry love, there isn't one in the back of that"

"Wassthis then?"

Only surpassed by me having half my mates at college scratching there heads wondering where the water is supposed to go in my VW Beetle and facinated by the spare engine in the boot :o)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D