Classic RR steering drop arm

Hi,

Is pulling the steering drop arm off the PAS box on a 1988 RR Classic within the capability of an 'off-the-shelf' two-arm puller, e.g. the one made by Sykes Pikavent, or do I have to 'borrow' the genuine tool (MS252A)?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Ken Harmes

IME the best way of removing the drop arm involves using a sledge hammer to hit the drop arm with and a block of wood to sit the output shaft on so that the shaft and seals aren't damaged. This does require removing the power steeing box from the vehicle first though.

In theory you can use a puller to release the arm but you will need the best quality puller money can buy and some insurance for when it lets go and shoots across the drive and hits nest doors car. Of course you MAY be lucky... I have heard tell of them coming off easily but then I've also been told that the pyramids were built by aliens.

In the vain hope that mine would come loose, I undid the locking nut by a turn with a locking tab in place and drove it off road. 2 years later and it still hasn't moved :-(

cheers

Dave W.

Reply to
Dave White

Hugh,

What constitutes a little heat? High heat briefly or low heat for ages, and from what source? I'm very conscious of that expensive, albeit a little leaky, steering box sitting above the drop arm!

Thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Hugh Hogan wrote: Try a little heat on the arm an it may come off easily, mine did and since then it find I have to tighten it regularly despite the locking nut being in place. I suppose I should get a better locking tab. Hugh " Hugh,

What constitutes a little heat? High heat briefly or low heat for ages, and from what source? I'm very conscious of that expensive, albeit a little leaky, steering box sitting above the drop arm!

Thanks Richard

Reply to
Hugh Hogan