90 steering

How easy is it to change the steering box drop arm ball joint on a 90? Can the ball joint be replaced with the arm in place or does the arm have to come off. The last time I took an arm I had to hire a 10ton puller. Thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard

should have said its not the same as our Discovery where it just has a nut on top. It looks like the 90 one all in one ? Richard

Reply to
Richard

"Richard" wrote in news:sdX3d.582$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net:

Well, I did it for the first time recently and it wasn't a problem. The answer is technique.

I thought I would pop the ball joint out just to see what problems there were before I bought new parts. Getting it out is a dawdle. Getting the new one in is another matter as I soon discovered!

I used an old socket and a G clamp to compress the joint so I could get the O ring out, then almost everything follows. The big problem is getting the "liner" out. There is not enough "lip" to get any purchase on and I believe you need a special puller. But I did a Google and a previous poster suggested leaving it in as this is not what wears.

Putting all the new parts back in is again a matter of fiddling with the G clamp and socket so you can compress the internal spring and get the O ring in. No need to remove the drop arm at all.

Just my experience and some may call it a botched job -- but it does seem to have worked. No more rattling. BTW, I've kept the removed parts as they didn't seem to be worn. Maybe it is the spring which becomes fatigued? Anyone?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

You should have shouted Derry - one in the garage!

I've found that it was worn badly on the last one I looked at - indeed it was pretty much worn away. I had to weld blobs to it to get enough of a purchase for the correct puller. I suppose it all comes down to the miles it's done, how many corners and how much muck!

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

William MacLeod wrote in news:BzZ3d.904$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net:

Thanks, Willie. I may still do, so it's nice to know you have one, but not in this rain! Yuck! I still have the bits in the cupboard....but not for a rainy day :(

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue