Larger Turbo for TDi

I have been considering upgrading to a 2003 TD5 but because of the cost considering a larger turbo on my 98 TDi to get the extra grunt particularly when driving in sand. Does anybody recommend an upgraded system which gives and improvement in HP and torque to around 330 Nm and hopefully with the turbo kicking in earlier. I would like if possible to be refered to a web site which gives graphs of improvements in HP and torque and an agent in Brisbane Australia.

Are there any adverse affects such as extra noise or failure or wear on the drive train.

Reply to
Harv

On or around Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:18:16 +1000, "Harv" enlightened us thusly:

you could always get one of those 2.8 TDi engines they're making in Brazil... basically, and expanded 300 TDi. I think it's probably done by lengthening the stroke. Cheaper, in all probability, than buying a new motor, and should be a straight swap for a 300 TDi, unlike trying to fit a TD5 engine to TDi car.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Hi,

The 2.8 Powerstroke engine (the made in Brazil one) has longer stroke and larger bore. The high output version of this engine also has a variable something turbo (I think it is the degree of the turbine's vanes that changes). It is also available with an ordinary turbocharger fitted with wastegate but this develops less bhp and torque and at higher rpm.

Cost for such an engine starts at around 5000 pounds + VAT plus some other bits required because it is NOT a straight fit since turbocharger, intercooler, air filter and radiator hoses are different and IIRC a special adaptor for the gearbox is required since the engine is made to be fitted to Ford gearboxes.

Take care PAntelis

Take care Pantelis

particularly

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Hertriono Hi,

I was the one to introduce Stephen to both the Tdi discussion group.

Unfortunately if you add up delivery, import taxes, modification costs and bank charges the price gets pretty close to what is asked from the company based in the UK. And they do have the added advantage of being able to provide you with spare parts located much closer than Brazil (when you are based in the UK or Europe)

As for ACR it is a pity they do not do their 2.8 upgrade for the Tdi engines also. From what I have discussed with them the problem lays in the excessive strenght demands on the conrods of the Tdi engine. Meaning that the petrol engine's conrods are not as strong as a Tdi engine would require.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I seem to remember (vaguely) reading an article in one of the rags about swapping the engine for a new Powerestroke (which is, incidentally, made by International who have sod all to do with Ford, except selling them engines). I distinctly remember some of the fittings are different, but I can't remember anything about any gearbox adapters.

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

Peter Hi,

IIRC there is a special adaptor that has to be attached to the gearbox side of the crankshaft. I may be wrong though.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos