Classic vs P38

I used to have a 3.9 V8 classic and sold it a few years ago, I am now back in the market fore another one. The question is, which is the best way to go, another V8 and get it gassed to reduce running costs, or buy a P39 diesel. Any advice, problems would be appreciateted. TIA, Barno

Reply to
Barno

p38 have trouble with electronics on the suspension .

diesel p38 have problems with warping cylinder heads and youre looking at over a 1000 quid for replacement bare head plus any other costs for parts and labour .

buy the nicest condition and latest year RRC you can find and get one with turbo diesel in , either landrover engine or something like a nissan 2.8 td conversion .

other than that forget rangerover and go discovery or 110 defender TDI

Reply to
m0bcg

What, all of them? Far too general a comment, IMHO.

The airbags begin to fail around 6-7 years, this used to be a huge problem due to the exorbitant cost, but no (possibly due to pressure from reasonably priced aftermarket replacements?) LR have dropped prices to something quite reasonable- $150 here in Oz, down from $1000 plus. Just replace them all & you're good to go for another 7.

Same thing with the air compressor, which seems to go around 100,000 kms/60,000 miles (very general, YMMV.) Replacement cost now down to price of equivalent high-quality 4x4 compressor, for a very well-made piece of kit. These things do run every day for hours after all- I'm amazed they last as long as they do. Also available cheaper from

they sell repair kits as well.

I've had no experience with EAS computer failure though- don't think it's that common, though it does happen, & I don't think LR has dropped the price on them yet- Anyone care to comment?

That said, if you do go for the LPG, look out for loose cylinder liners...

Reply to
Natalie Drest

Natalie> What, all of them? Far too general a comment, IMHO.

And many of the problems (in the valve block) are easily and cheaply repairable if you can take the relatively simple job of stripping it.

Natalie> I've had no experience with EAS computer failure though- Natalie> don't think it's that common, though it does happen, & I Natalie> don't think LR has dropped the price on them yet- Anyone Natalie> care to comment?

S/H computers can be bought for around GBP50.00 from places like Equicar. They need recalibrating using Rovacom Lite or some other diagnostic system prior to use, but otherwise they are a quick swap.

Reply to
AndyC the WB