Clicking CV joint

I have started to hear a clicking/ticking from the OSF CV joint on my Disco (2" lift), when on left lock usually. I have a weekends off-roading coming up and am concerned it will fail. Anyone any experience of this and is it likely to take a while to give up or should I stop driving it and fix it now??

Got some advice from Nige on a place local to fix it (cheers matey) but wondered if anyone had this on theirs and if so how long did it last before giving in?

Reply to
Andy

If it's just clicking there's a chance it'll last a while, but it's also pretty likely to NOT stand up to off-roading.

TBH if you have time, get it fixed, if not be prepared to take off the front prop and use diff-lock and 2wd only ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Before you get too worried just check that you've got lube. in the swivel housing. A bit of EP90/special grease between the surfaces works wonders.

From your description you're in the very early stages of the problem - it could go on for ages before you need to even think about worrying.

Reply to
Dougal

But Andy does serious off road stuff all the time.

Reply to
Nige

Does a DI have swivel housings? I thought that was only Series and Defenders.

At least a DI should have diff lock should the front prop need to be removed, a DII may or may not.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But a little click is evidence of surface damage rather than a severe structural fault.

It's accepted that the surface damage could (probably will) in the longer term be the initiator of a fatigue crack which will result in ultimate failure.

Off-road use tends to create one-time events and unless there's a pre-existing fatigue crack (obviously we don't know whether there is or not) I still wouldn't expect that sort of use to make things any more prone to fail.

Reply to
Dougal

When they do fail they can destroy the spline on the half shaft (guess how I know this) it then cost a lot more to fix.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

'Tis just a re-bodied RRC and does have swivel housings.

Reply to
Dougal

Probably altering the lockstops to get round Tong has caused it, or maybe it's just dry and needs some one shot grease.

Reply to
Oily