Compressor - would this work????

Hi Jon,

This is basically what my mate has been using for the last xx years in his cycle shop. He turns it on at the plug when he needs it (it's pretty quiet) and I thnik is still left in the (small) fridge complete with temp sensor . I think he uses the fridge itself for storage! The outlet is just a flexy hose with a std car valve fitting (no gauge or trigger, you just hold it on and feel the tyre for pressure) and it pumps a std cycle tyre up in just a few seconds?

I think he might be on the second one in loads of years ...(but has a very short duty cycle in his application).

All the best ...

T i m

Reply to
T i m

More links:

The Sanden does have the disadvantage that it does not have a separate sump for lubricant. This is not a major issue and can be overcome by periodic manual lubrication or an oiler on the air inlet. It is however more compact. Tends to be the preference for cars these days.
David

Reply to
Dougal

OK, got myself a Sanden from the local scrappers at the weekend - lifted from an '89 Saab 9000 - £20 complete with working clutch - Bargain.

Just need to fabricate a mounting plate and get a driving pully.

Where on a standard Defender 200tdi does the air conditioning compressor mounting plate fix to? Im assuming its to the bracketry that fixes the fuel pump to the main block to the rear and to the two timing cover bolts / flats to the left and below the rubber hosing that feeds to the thermostat?

Regarding driving the compressor - I know there is a Defender 200tdi crankshaft pully that hase 3 belts on it (the standard pulley just has

2) but I have been told that i need to change the fan also if i use this "air-con" pulley.

I propose to remove the top pulley and fan and take it to the local precision engineers and get them to weld me a pulley to that in the free space betwen the existing pulley and the fan/viscous coupling. That way I can gear the compressor up slightly and also get away with a short belt rather than a long one from the crankshaft pulley. This new belt would also be clear of any existing obsticles.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon